47847 Posts in 5487 Topics - by 11330 Members - Latest Member: chaosdu55

Author Topic: The Last Game You Played - Review Thread  (Read 15418 times)

spshortman

• Bruh
  • 64-bit
The Last Game You Played - Review Thread
« on: December 02, 2016, 08:56:10 AM »
sup bros, some forums i frequent have a thread where you review the last game you played or movie you saw. we should do the same here. ill update this thread soon with what im playing, got some new dreamcast shit!

spshortman

• Bruh
  • 64-bit
Re: The Last Game You Played - Review Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 10:47:59 PM »
the holidays always make me nostalgic for sega, i usually bust one sega system out around now and this year its the dreamcast. i sunk some money into it:

the two tomb raider games are a lot of fun and have nice graphics. if i had to recommend one i would lean towards last revelation, seems like more care and effort was put into it, chronicles is still fun though.

mdk2 is a classic dont really have to say much about it. i remember back in the day having a demo disc with the first level on it and playing it 1000 times. graphics are still very nice.

hydro thunder is a super awesome arcade racer and its a ton of fun, but this game has some weird vga compatibility issues and doesnt work perfect in 480p. still awesome though.

slave zero is a weird early dreamcast game that i remember playing and thinking was ok but nothing special. for some reason i never forgot about it though and decided to buy it. unfortunately the framerate is pretty poor and the gameplay is not that great. visually it looks like a late 90s pc game which i think is baller, but again this one isnt really impressive in anyway.

after xmas ill review the last guardian when i beat it! when you guys get new games review them here!

call_me_sir

• Hardcore n00b
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 08:32:44 PM »
The last game I played all the way through was Mass Effect 2, last week. I'm going to play it again and then move on to ME3. I got this awesome handheld in the
mail last week and I've been playing all my old PC games. It's also great for emulation, although any old android device would work fine for that.

I also picked up a DC usb loader and have been playing through skies of arcadia, since my discs no longer work.

spshortman

• Bruh
  • 64-bit
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 09:00:37 PM »
how much was the dreamcast usb loader and which one did you buy callmesir? are you able to find perfect gd-rom rips out there or are you playing the cd-r rips through usb?

call_me_sir

• Hardcore n00b
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 10:23:28 PM »
I got one on ebay for ~$40. I'm using SDISO's from theisozone currently, I really just bought it for skies of arcadia so I haven't bothered with much else.

spshortman

• Bruh
  • 64-bit
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 07:38:22 AM »
40 bucks is cheap for a dreamcast usb loader dude! i couldn't find any on ebay but i would buy one for that price no question. that hand held thing looks pretty cool but when i searched it on ebay they're kinda expensive eh? how powerful is that thing? it runs android so by defualt it looks like your cell phone os? how do you install shit on it?

call_me_sir

• Hardcore n00b
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 05:55:44 PM »
No its actually a windows 10 device, not android. Its basically a very small laptop. I paid about $300 for it, was my birthday present to myself :)
As for how powerful it is i cant check the exact specs atm but google gpd win and you should find it.

spshortman

• Bruh
  • 64-bit
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 08:42:48 PM »
damn callmesir 300 is a lot! hope that thing is fucking sweet! shit is the price of a regular ps4!!111

call_me_sir

• Hardcore n00b
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 02:21:37 AM »
I don't think 300 is a lot for a laptop, think of how many games have been released since the first home computers were sold - thousands? millions? I can play almost any of them except for mid ps360 era onwards. I can emulate dreamcast, n64, ps1, even ps2, and I can carry it anywhere and play it anytime. I love this thing. :D

Here's the link for that DC card reader btw.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/152193660628?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

spshortman

• Bruh
  • 64-bit
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 05:53:42 AM »
thanks for the link, no modding needed plus that price is fucking baller!

call_me_sir

• Hardcore n00b
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2016, 05:00:45 PM »
Yeah, although it would be cool to mod the bios so it boots from the sd reader it it's inserted. Or be able to buy a gdemu so you could run all games from sd.

spshortman

• Bruh
  • 64-bit
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2016, 07:46:52 AM »
how does the 40 dollar one work? you need a boot disk but then you can load as many dreamcast games as you like according to your sd card size? do you have to power the console down every time you want to change a game?

call_me_sir

• Hardcore n00b
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2016, 10:29:14 PM »
Yeah I mean not every game will work through the sd loader. I think most games will have a bit of stutter while streaming in-game too, since the serial port isn't as fast as the gdrom drive.
Yes you have to power the dreamcast down when changing games. Shenmue apparently doesn't work at all. Haven't tried it myself though.

spshortman

• Bruh
  • 64-bit
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2016, 11:16:00 PM »
too bad it isnt perfect. at that price it would have been fooking amazing

call_me_sir

• Hardcore n00b
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2016, 06:45:03 AM »
Yeah, but that's why gdemu exists. It's an sd card reader that replaces your gdrom drive, so the speed it as good as an actual disc. If I could only get one.

spshortman

• Bruh
  • 64-bit
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2017, 09:29:23 PM »

The Last Guardian- 9.5/10. holy fuck bruhs, this is maybe the most emotional game ive ever played, its a near masterpiece for me. my only complaint is your companion trico doest have perfect a.i. all the time. sometimes he doesn't perform his action even if its obvious. usually you just leave the area and return with him and then he does his part, but this can be a momentum killer sometimes. otherwise this probably the best looking videogame ever made, incredible music and its super emotional. i thought i was too dead on the inside to feel anything anymore but this game proved otherwise. theres two parts that kicked me in the nutsack. one was a gameplay "scene" after trico goes crazy and swallows the boy for the second time, when trico comes to his senses the aftermath of what it does to the boy and how trico responds was fucking emotional BRUHS!!!!11 also trico gets his ass kicked at one point and the state tricos left in after and how the boy helps him back to health kinda kicked me in the nuts too! this game starts out slow but it gets going and it is absolutely a worthy follow up to shadow of the colossus!

i think in time this game will be looked at as a masterpiece, right now the 10 year development time makes you look at it with a microscope and any flaws your like " THis Game WaszNT Worthj it!111" but after beating it i think this game is absolutely special! i hope ueda makes another game and it doesn't take 10 fucking years! the last guardian is extremely recommended brehz.

p.s. this is my next review: it might take a while but looks like some good games releasing back to back!

spshortman

• Bruh
  • 64-bit
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2017, 10:49:13 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/v/ycB6uNiU4IE

this game is FUCKIGN EMOTIONAL BRUHZ!!111111

Elite Evil

• Well hung poster
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2017, 12:21:18 PM »
Best game I have played recently is doom 2016. That thing is just sick. :D

Best game since GTA5 for sure. Not sure if that counts as this generation or the last generation as I played both on PC.
Freedom headquarters!

spshortman

• Bruh
  • 64-bit
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2017, 09:24:22 PM »
if you like fps campaigns elite evil titanfall 2 has a good one! not your standard fps campaign!

call_me_sir

• Hardcore n00b
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2017, 07:59:39 AM »
The last game I put any significant amount of time into is crystal rift on psvr. It's not a great game by it's own merits, it is however the type of game that shows you what's possible in vr. I've been taking pointers from it, and I'm taking a break from my other project to hammer out a first person king's field-clone-concept for vr.
It's too bad the playstation developer program is a bit trickier to enter than nintendo's because I'd really like a psvr dev kit.