47847 Posts in 5487 Topics - by 11330 Members - Latest Member: chaosdu55

Author Topic: i bought the HD retrovision sega genesis component cables bruhs.............  (Read 7858 times)

spshortman

• Bruh
  • 64-bit
sup bruhs. ill try to keep this short and sweet. if you aren't aware some studs developed rgb component cables for the genesis and snes: http://www.hdretrovision.com/

it basically just takes the 240p rgb signal from these old consoles and converts it on the fly into component cable for all of us dude bruhs with modern tvs. no more need for scart cables and adapters and shit! the genesis cable works with genesis, master system, 32x and also works with turbografx 16 with an adapter and neo geo with an adapter. sounds like they will probably develop a sega saturn adapter as well, which i will be all over!

i got them this week and they are baller. no more converters that need to be plugged in or splitters needed to pull audio from scart or any of that shit. just plug it in and go! i made a gallery with some comparisons between composite and component. warning 16:9 because YOOOOOLOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

these would look super fucking good on a crt with scan lines as well. definitely worth the money for me. if they release a saturn adapter there's a good chance i will sell all my scart shit and adapters.

SEGA FOOOOOO LYYYYFFFFFEEEEEEeeeEEEE!!!!!!!

jem

• Administrator
  • 128-bit
The component looks pretty good!  Much better than the composite.

Although I'm curious, what was your previous setup with scart?

Edit:
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 10:08:21 PM by jem »

spshortman

• Bruh
  • 64-bit
i just had scart cables being converted to component. i have one of those converters you find all over ebay for 50 bucks. these produce the same image as the scart converter with much less effort.

whats your set up jem? that looks like rgb, are you in a territory where scart is common?

edit- saturns a real pain with the scart converter. i need to plug the saturns scart cable into a splitter to pull stereo from, a scart cable from the splitter going into the converter, then component cables from the converter into my tv. when they make the adapter for this cable to work with saturn it will literally just be one cable for saturn rgb and audio. hhhhnnnnnggggg!!11
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 10:55:07 PM by spshortman »

jem

• Administrator
  • 128-bit
Yep, you've got a good eye.  It's RGB.

Although, scart isn't the greatest connector.  Sometimes I have to fuss with it. 
At some point I'll make some custom cables from each console to the monitor.

Since you've already got the component cables, why not get a CRT television? 
I've got a circa 2005 13" Sony Trinitron (not pictured) consumer television that accepts component and looks killer. 
It even looks pretty decent through composite.

You can get them for almost nothing.  Paid $9 for mine, nearly new.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 11:52:10 PM by jem »

spshortman

• Bruh
  • 64-bit
yeah if i had the space for one i would get a crt with component, i see them free on craigslist all the time. maybe in the future. this cable wont appeal to anyone with an rgb monitor or a real hardcore set up, its for bruhs like me with only 1 hdtv that has the standard connectors. i get the feeling that most people buying this cable have never seen their genesis in higher quality then composite.

jem

• Administrator
  • 128-bit
Your setup looks fine, but you might want to grab a CRT while they're still free, or you'll be kicking yourself when they're all gone ;).

So how far have you gotten in Super Hang-On?  I just beat the beginner course after taking the screenshot.  All these years and I could never win because I didn't know there was a boost button.

spshortman

• Bruh
  • 64-bit
yeah i could probably make space for a 13 inch, its just when these crts start getting bigger then they start exploding out the back. even 20" crts are fucking space hogs. my super hang on skills are about the same as yours, and i too only discovered the boost button after i bought the arcade version on ps3 LULZ, i spent years on the genesis version not boosting at all lulz. gotta have dat sprinter song on super hang on!!

one last picture, my genesis cause its fucking sexy hnnnnnggggg
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 12:37:39 AM by spshortman »

jem

• Administrator
  • 128-bit
That is friggin awesome.  Good call on the clear cart.

spshortman

• Bruh
  • 64-bit
thanks bruh, that post was definitely a stealth brag about my mega everdrive LULZ!!1111one

darkNiGHTS

• soccerboi
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
  • Is it getting dark in here, or is it just me?
This is pretty dope, all sold out now though. $50 ain't bad for custom cables.

Yep, you've got a good eye.  It's RGB.

Although, scart isn't the greatest connector.  Sometimes I have to fuss with it. 
At some point I'll make some custom cables from each console to the monitor.

Since you've already got the component cables, why not get a CRT television? 
I've got a circa 2005 13" Sony Trinitron (not pictured) consumer television that accepts component and looks killer. 
It even looks pretty decent through composite.

You can get them for almost nothing.  Paid $9 for mine, nearly new.
That is a sexy CRT! I always keep an eye out for the good smaller ones at thrift stores and the like. Most end up on the curb though.

spshortman

• Bruh
  • 64-bit
they're currently developing the saturn adapter for the genesis cable i bought, gonna buy that day 1! i might have to buy the snes components too. i fucking literally never play my snes but my hdtv doesn't have s video and snes over composite looks fucking rough on my hdtv.

spshortman

• Bruh
  • 64-bit
i mentioned in a previous thread that i was buying something new for the saturn, i got it today:

its the sega saturn adapter for the hd retrovision genesis cable i bought last year. i was fucking around with scart converters before and it
was a nightmare bruhs. now its just one cable and its a dream. my cellphone is doing a shit job of taking pics, the games look way
better in person. the 3d stuff looks hd and the 2d stuff is razor sharp perfect.

again on my tv it looks incredible bruhs. the cable is now 52 bucks and the adapters are 14. its not cheap but for me its extremely
worth it. im probably selling all my scart shit now. i fucking hate super nintendo but i might buy the snes cable this week or the
next. recommended bruhs

Mesh

• Administrator
  • 128-bit
  • TESSSSTIFY
    • Segahub
damn that looks good bro

spshortman

• Bruh
  • 64-bit
thanks mesh. im looking on craigslist locally for a 20" crt with component inputs now. would look incredible with these cables. im still having a lot of back and forth on the snes cable, maybe later.

spshortman

• Bruh
  • 64-bit
Re: i bought the HD retrovision sega genesis component cables bruhs.............
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2017, 10:26:36 AM »
i bought a turbografx 16 back in 2011 and almost never played it because i only had RF video output for it. i just bought a db electronics turbobooster: https://db-electronics.ca/product/dbgrafx-booster-ttp/ which is compatible with the hd retrovision genesis cable for rgb bruhs.

going from RF to rgb is a pretty big leap bruhs. wish i had a 20" crt with component inputs for all these classic games in rgb. you can buy a protective plastic shell for the db booster on stoneage gamer, they also sell this booster with the shell complete and it ends up being like 10-20 bucks cheaper that way, if anyone's interested in this thing buy it complete from stoneage, i found out after the fact.

hd retrovision cables are fucking awesome bruhs.................. now i need a turbo everdrive flash cart brehz

darkNiGHTS

• soccerboi
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
  • Is it getting dark in here, or is it just me?
That looks great. I decided on an S-video mod for my genesis for cost purposes, these Genesis component cables are like $70 nowadays. S-video is good enough for me and I got the parts for the mod for $15. It'll be a nice upgrade from composite. I'll post some pics if I ever get around to doing it, lol!

Now one thing I need to pony up the cash for - GameCube component cables so I can play Game Boy player in that crisp 240p.

spshortman

• Bruh
  • 64-bit
i bought cube component cables back in 2006 when they were "only" 65 dollars. gamecube 480p actually looks better than wii gamecube 480p so the cables are a must! i bought a gba player a year ago and playing gameboy on the tv is like having another classic console, its awesome!