47847 Posts in 5487 Topics - by 11331 Members - Latest Member: Cipango

Author Topic: Does it matter what speed you burn your game image at?  (Read 15515 times)

spshortman

• Bruh
  • 64-bit
Does it matter what speed you burn your game image at?
« on: June 01, 2013, 06:26:24 AM »
sup bruhs, im burnin some saturn games. my two burners dont burn at anything slower than 16x. all the images im burning are working on my saturn, but im wondering if a slower burn would be better for the saturns lens? i was always under the impression that burning everything at slow speeds is the way to go, but does it actually matter for something like saturn games? am i gonna wear out my saturn lens faster or does it even matter? thanks bruhs

p.s. underground gamer is fuckin dead!111

call_me_sir

• Hardcore n00b
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
Re: Does it matter what speed you burn your game image at?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 06:30:57 AM »
I'm not completely sure with the Saturn, but I know with DC games 16x is the way to go. Is your console chipped, or are you swapping? Because if you're swapping I'd be way more concerned that the drive was going to go out from that.

spshortman

• Bruh
  • 64-bit
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 06:39:10 AM »
chipped for days dogg!1111 ive been on the hunt for a cd burner for a while that does 2x or something but its not an easy to find unless the drive is like 10 years old and ide or some shit. i keep assuming i should be burning these games ultra slow, i had plans to reburn my entire saturn collection in hopes to make shit easier for my console, but if i find out the speed doesnt matter than fuuuuuck that!1111. i think the saturn lens is an easy find on ebay now so if it turns out my burns are good im gonna play dat shit till it dies!11111

i remember reading something a long time ago that sega cd games had to be burned slow or something, but that might just be bullshit.

R.I.P. underground gamer

call_me_sir

• Hardcore n00b
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 08:04:56 AM »
Yeah I used to burn Sega CD games at max speed and never had an issue so I doubt that's true. Your Saturn should be fine with 16x.

spshortman

• Bruh
  • 64-bit
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 08:33:46 AM »
thanks for the response bro!111111 im curious why do you think burning dreamcast games is better at 16x???

rip underground gamer!~!1111

call_me_sir

• Hardcore n00b
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 09:50:47 AM »
That's what I read a while back. I don't have any proof that it's true, except that my DC's drive seems to make much less noise at 16x. That and I recalibrated the laser.

Elite Evil

• Well hung poster
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 04:25:15 AM »
Modern drives and discs are designed to be burnt at higher speeds and burning at 2x will be bad. :)

Freedom headquarters!

call_me_sir

• Hardcore n00b
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 05:54:09 PM »
So I just bought a Saturn, did you figure out what speed works the best?
Now I have: nes, gamecube, genesis, saturn, dreamcast, ps1, ps2, ps3. Only console I'm missing that I still want is snes, but all the games I need are too expensive and I don't want to buy a flash cart.

Elite Evil

• Well hung poster
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 03:03:39 AM »
Yeah SNES RPGs in PAL are fucking ridiculous.
Freedom headquarters!

call_me_sir

• Hardcore n00b
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 11:37:40 AM »
US RPG's are pretty high up there as well. Chrono Trigger would be a must have for my collection and I can't find it for under $80, just way more than I want to spend on a single game. If only I could read Japanese I'd be all set, those JAP versions are usually under $10.

Elite Evil

• Well hung poster
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 04:06:57 AM »
Yeah the only way I can think of doing it cost effectively is buying a flashcart where you can use chips in real carts connected to it and using the jap copies to run the PAL roms.
Freedom headquarters!

call_me_sir

• Hardcore n00b
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 01:03:42 AM »
DAMN the price of modchips seem to have gone up! Last time I looked at racketboy they were like $30, now around $70! Looks like I'll be swapping for a while..

spshortman

• Bruh
  • 64-bit
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 06:49:14 AM »
dude you said it yourself your gonna fuck up your saturn that way bro!1111 i too noticed the price skyrocketed but fuck dude, its still worth it imo, especially if underground gamer gets resurrected!!111

i haven't done any more research on the burning speed since underground gamer fuckin died, but i might ask those nerds over at the assemblergames at some point, if i do ill update this thread. thank fuck i already amassed a huge fuggin collection of saturn titles before the fuckin fbi decided to cock block every old school gamer on the planet!1111111

call_me_sir

• Hardcore n00b
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 12:03:15 PM »
dude you said it yourself your gonna fuck up your saturn that way bro!1111
I know, I just have to bite the bullet when I want to play dragon force because I don't have an extra $70 lying around quite yet. :(

Elite Evil

• Well hung poster
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 05:40:32 PM »
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 05:44:11 PM by Elite Evil »
Freedom headquarters!

call_me_sir

• Hardcore n00b
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 10:15:14 PM »
Ah that's too bad. I appreciate the thought though. I wonder why they're so expensive now anyway..

call_me_sir

• Hardcore n00b
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2013, 07:15:35 PM »
All right, just purchased one from a guy in Germany for the very reasonable price of $20.00.

Earth

• 8-Bit
  • It's all in the hair.
    • ZombieModding
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2013, 07:29:15 AM »
So I just bought a Saturn, did you figure out what speed works the best?
Now I have: nes, gamecube, genesis, saturn, dreamcast, ps1, ps2, ps3. Only console I'm missing that I still want is snes, but all the games I need are too expensive and I don't want to buy a flash cart.
Not interested in an N64? Such an amazing console in my opinion, Goldeneye got me hooked.

Speaking of which, I also just ordered this thing called an Everdrive64 for it, it's a cartridge with an SD slot so you can put your ROMs on it and play them on the actual hardware. The best part about it is being able to play leaked games, or even hacked ROMs, which is awesome since the N64 community seems to be booming with a lot of level editors for many games. Can't wait for it to arrive.

call_me_sir

• Hardcore n00b
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2013, 01:28:39 PM »
N64 was never really my cup of tea. I got into it and started collecting for it a couple of years back, got really into paper mario, played through ocarina of time (everybody used to say it was better than FFVII, IMO it's not, still a great game though), bought some decent controllers.
I don't know what it was really, my one big memory playing 64 is playing while I had stomach flu and now for whatever reason I somehow feel sick to my stomach when I think about owning one again. It's weird how that works.  :-\
The one main reason I don't see the point in collecting for the 64 is the lack of RPG's. It's not like I play them exclusively but I'd rather collect games that I can get a lot of play time out of.

Congrats on the everdrive though! You should get yourself a couple of hori mini pad's if you don't already have some! I only had makopad but always wanted a hori.

spshortman

• Bruh
  • 64-bit
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2013, 12:52:36 PM »
callmesir whats the deal with the 20 dollar german modchips? did you buy second hand or is someone making them for cheap over there? if its legit ill buy a couple more just to have for the future. also where are you getting your saturn games from now? is it official like underground gamer was or are you getting them from this message board????1!!!!!11one