47847 Posts in 5487 Topics - by 11332 Members - Latest Member: Saturny2X

Author Topic: PS3 jailbreak adapted to Nokia N900, Palm Pre in wake of Australian ban (video)  (Read 4198 times)

retro_killa

• 128-bit
  • You must be the change you want 2 see in the world
    • Colorblind Designs

Two weeks ago you'd have to pay an Australian importer for a specialized USB key. Four days ago open-source software let you roll your own. Today, there's no need for any of that -- you can hack your PS3 with a tethered smartphone. Working closely with the PSGroove team, hacker Kakaroto adapted the same jailbreak to the Nokia N900, and the open-source community lost no time porting it to the Palm Pre as well. If the videos after the break are any indication, both versions work just as well as the original, and you too can get your game on with downloads and detailed instructions at the source links below.

Sadly, the aforementioned Australian importer OzModChips is a casualty of this little story, with all its shipments of the PS Jailbreak dongle seized (and the item subject to injunction) by an Australian court, but we suppose knowing its product has enabled the hardware hacking community thus might somewhat soften the blow.

Code: [Select]
http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/05/ps3-jailbreak-adapted-to-nokia-n900-palm-pre-in-wake-of-austral/

call_me_sir

• Hardcore n00b
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
I've heard that with today's PSN update none of this works anymore anyway.

retro_killa

• 128-bit
  • You must be the change you want 2 see in the world
    • Colorblind Designs
This was posted on the 5th & I am sure that it still works. I do not own a PS3 so I can not test this out.

---------------------THIS---------------------
copied from the the website

By Sean Hollister  posted Sep 5th 2010 4:29PM
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 12:27:20 AM by retro_killa »

call_me_sir

• Hardcore n00b
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
Well I can't say for sure as I haven't tried it, but before I updated this morning I looked online to see what the update was for and just found lots of people bitching because everything was patched.

Adam Bomb 669

Hackaz aint gonna take that shit. There will be updated hacks soon.
There is also a way to avoid the update and stay connected by changing your DNS.

call_me_sir

• Hardcore n00b
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
There is also a way to avoid the update and stay connected by changing your DNS.
For now, but there was when the Other OS feature was taken away too, for about a week or so if I remember correctly. Why fight it? In the last week I updated both my psp and ps3 with official firmware. I still don't quite understand the allure of hacking a ps3, it would only be cool to me to have games on the hard drive, but I know games like MGS4 take up the entire bluray, and games that size would fill up my 250gb in a hurry.

Adam Bomb 669

You can stick em on a portable hdd too, get a 2 tb usb drive and BAM! and the three games on rlslog are pretty small in comparison. I think Mafia 2 was 6 or 7 gigs.
I'm buying another broken PS3 just to mod.

call_me_sir

• Hardcore n00b
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
Hadn't thought of that, not a bad idea.