47822 Posts in 5486 Topics - by 11279 Members - Latest Member: dosob

Author Topic: The Veronicas ---- [Electro Pop-Rock]  (Read 4806 times)

retro_killa

• 128-bit
  • You must be the change you want 2 see in the world
    • Colorblind Designs
The Veronicas ---- [Electro Pop-Rock]
« on: April 20, 2009, 08:27:29 AM »
So I was watching Miss USA with my girl @ they had this band playing called "The Veronicas". So I was turned onto there sound & just wanted to share this with the site.

------------------------------------------

The Veronicas are an electro based pop-rock band based in Australia. The band was formed in 2005, in Brisbane, by twin sisters Jessica and Lisa Origliasso. They have their own line of clothing for all ages that they released beginning in 2007.

They have released two studio albums, the first being The Secret Life of... in 2005. The debut album peaked at #4 on the Australian charts and gain an ARIA certification of four times platinum, for 280,000+ sales. The Secret Life of... spawned five singles, including three top ten singles in Australia.

The band released their second album Hook Me Up in 2007. It also peaked at #2 on the Australian charts, earning a certification of two times platinum. The album has had four Australian top ten singles released from it to date. The album's title track, "Hook Me Up", was The Veronicas' first number one single in Australia.

Early years

Born to Italian (Sicilian)-Australian parents, Colleen and Joseph, they grew up in Albany Creek (northwestern Brisbane, Australia), with their older brother Julien, where they attended Ferny Grove State High School and Wavell State High School. At an early age, the girls expressed interest in performing; they participated with small local papers in shows on television and radio. The girls also participated in a ANZAC day event where they sang the national anthem to schools such as Our Lady Of the Angels Wavell heights.

Jessica and Lisa also performed in small parts on various television shows, including a recurring role in the short-lived 2001 Australian children's series Cybergirl, where they portrayed twin sisters. Lisa played the character 'Sapphire', while Jessica appeared as 'Emerald'. On their 18th birthday, Jessica received her first guitar, at which time the sisters began writing and singing songs. They formed the group Teal with friends Tracy Woods and R. Viknes. The group experimented with different sounds and genres, releasing a song called "Baby It's Over" which received minor airplay in Brisbane.

In 2004, (Lisa Origliasso) and (Jessica Origliasso) were introduced to the Music Director of The Bell Hughes Music Group (BHMG), Hayden Bell. After producing some demo recordings with the twins, Bell invited them to sign a publishing agreement with Excalibur Productions (a subsidiary of BHMG). In the process, Bell helped facilitate their progression in musical style from acoustic pop to the more rhythmic rock pop approach that is now their trademark. On the strength of these demos, Bell took them to meet the executives at Engine Room (a subsidiary of PBL (Packer) Group) and they were immediately signed to a production deal.

To further develop their song writing skills, Bell connected them with internationally acclaimed songwriters and producers including Clif Magness (who has written for Avril Lavigne), Billy Steinberg (Madonna, Cyndi Lauper), Max Martin (Britney Spears, Katy Perry, P!nk), Eric Nova, Dead Mono and Vince DeGiorgio, where they created a catalogue of over 50 songs.

Meetings were then arranged with Warner Bros. Records in the USA. Seymour Stein and senior executives recognized that Bell had indeed discovered and developed a musical talent, signing them quickly to a recording contract with Warner Bros. Records/Sire America, for a reported sum of 2 million dollars.

Bell then took one of The Veronicas' songs titled "All About Us" and placed it with the Russian girl group t.A.T.u; it became a massive worldwide hit. In Australia, he placed the song "What's Goin' On" with Casey Donovan and the song "Faded" for Kate DeAraugo. Both of these artists were winners of the Australian Idol Competition. "What's Going On" was also placed by Bell on the Japanese pop singer Miz's album.

Band name

Regarding how they chose their name, Jess Origiasso said "The name is something we thought about for a long time, and we wanted it to be a girl's name, but we didn't want it to be 'the Jesses.' We were very conscious of not wanting to make it a twin thing, because we think that's really tacky." "We didn't want it to be called 'the Lisas,' either," singer Lisa Origliasso added. "So one day we saw the movie 'Heathers,' and there's a line where Christian Slayter asks, 'Are you a Heather?' and Winona Ryder's character answers, 'No, I'm a Veronica,' and so we went with that, because she was this kind of cool, unique chick with an attitude."

However, some believe that Archie Comics character Veronica Lodge had some influence on the naming, including people at Archie Comics themselves, who sued the group for trademark infringement. A settlement was reached that included a cross-promotion deal, including an appearance in an issue of their namesake Veronica's comic book. The issue (#167) featured a card with a code allowing a free download of their single "4ever" in MP3 form. A few months later, Archie and Friends (#100) featured The Archies meeting The Veronicas. The next issue of Archie and Friends (#101) also featured The Veronicas, with Archie as their biggest fan.

The Veronicas dislike being called a female duo and every day they work to separate themselves from the music business. "We like being called a band or group. We don't want to be a pop duo group with two girls singing about relationships, we have everything that a rock band would have, so we are a band".

This sparked mild argument, when music critic Charlotte Burgess stated, "A repetitive beat and strumming three powerchords while dancing around in skimpy clothing is rock only in the world of AC/DC. They [The Veronicas] are a band...otherwise known as a pop-band."

The above info was copied from
Code: [Select]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Veronicas

Elite Evil

• Well hung poster
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
Re: The Veronicas ---- [Electro Pop-Rock]
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 07:37:14 PM »
I'd do the one in yellow...
Freedom headquarters!

Call_me_sir

• Hardcore n00b
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 09:42:46 PM »
Hah yeah, I was gonna say, the cartoon is hotter.

retro_killa

• 128-bit
  • You must be the change you want 2 see in the world
    • Colorblind Designs

i_got_you60

• 64-bit
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 07:21:18 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKV6pBl6SPk

something better than the 2 ugly girls who donno how to dance in the above vid
btw i wanna do the cartoon as well

Elite Evil

• Well hung poster
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 04:14:26 AM »
Bump.

Saw one on a panel show.

The problem with their faces is that their features are way too big for their heads.
Freedom headquarters!

licsflit73

• 8-Bit
  • [url=http://russian-brides-best.com/]elite dating group[/url]
    • effective russian matchmaking
The Veronicas Electro Pop Rock
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 06:31:08 AM »
Cartoon network. its on late though because they say bad words.