47797 Posts in 5481 Topics - by 11211 Members - Latest Member: grem45

Author Topic: Wal-Mart gets into used game sales  (Read 6414 times)

retro_killa

• 128-bit
  • You must be the change you want 2 see in the world
    • Colorblind Designs
Wal-Mart gets into used game sales
« on: May 21, 2009, 09:28:10 AM »
E-Play kiosks show up in dozens of retail behemoth's Northeast locations; analyst downplays near-term threat to GameStop.

Look for it up front, near the crane games and stale-bubblegum machines.

Rival retailers have jealously eyed GameStop's hold on the used-game business in the United States for years, but shopping giants such as Amazon and Toys 'R' Us are starting to do something about it. Wal-Mart was added to the list earlier this month, as the retail chain began a pilot program that will see game buyback kiosks installed at 77 of its locations in the Northeast by the beginning of June.

The kiosks are operated by e-Play and have begun appearing in Wal-Mart stores in Rhode Island, Connecticut, Massachusetts, and New York, a representative with e-Play told GameSpot. Some of the machines are set up to strictly buy used games, while others are full functionality e-Play kiosks that also sell and rent DVDs and Blu-ray discs.

Customers trade their games in first by scanning the UPC code from the game's packaging and agreeing to the stated buyback price. Users then swipe a credit or debit card and a driver's license, insert the game disc into a slot on the kiosk, and drop the box into a separate bin. Within three days, a credit for the buyback price will be applied to the user's credit or debit card. In the future, e-Play plans to allow trade-ins without the box.

Wal-Mart is not the only place to find e-Play buyback kiosks. The company also has 200 other locations with partners in Ohio, Georgia, North Carolina, and other markets and is planning to expand operations in short order. Additionally, it hopes to regularly offer customers store credit for trade-ins, an option currently available only at a limited number of its locations.

Signal Hill analyst Todd Greenwald issued an investors note on GameStop in reaction to the news, saying the Wal-Mart program doesn't offer much of a near-term threat to the specialty retailer.

"On the contrary, we believe this is more of a traffic driver to Wal-Mart's stores, and an alternative for cash-strapped consumers, than something that will take meaningful share from Gamestop's core consumers," Greenwald said. "Gamestop customers demand immediate gratification, and typically trade in a used game in order to buy a new game, which is not possible in this pilot program."

The analyst added that while headlines about new competition in the market may hurt GameStop shares temporarily, the company's used-game business is "nearly bulletproof."

The above info was copied from
Code: [Select]
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6209955.html?part=rss&tag=gs_news&subj=6209955

Adam Bomb 669

Re: Wal-Mart gets into used game sales
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 10:03:15 AM »
nice, as long as they pay decent.

homebrewlover

• 16-bit
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 10:30:57 AM »
one word
gay-ay-ay
tryin steal biz from gamestop even though they are money hungry dogs...

I don't Help People... (Starts Chainsaw)
I KILL THEM!!!!!!

(from the best game sega put out on Wii... MadWorld!!

willplayer

• 128-bit
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 08:48:19 PM »
The endtimes are surely coming at this rate, when Wal Mart bends towards the used gaming society like they should have decades ago. Losers, you lost your chance. I can only see black people using this contraption. I like black people, that's not the point, I'm just saying I see black people at Wal Mart there all the time more than white people (at midnight especially). :)

Call_me_sir

• Hardcore n00b
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 09:58:53 PM »
You mean people are still paying money for games in the first place?

homebrewlover

• 16-bit
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 10:09:56 PM »
You mean people are still paying money for games in the first place?
Ya what losers still do that lol

I KILL THEM!!!!!!

willplayer

• 128-bit
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 10:27:16 PM »
I used to know a guy that was all about doing the "right thing" and paying for all the games he got. Meanwhile I'm a stealin fiend downloading every game there is. Now here we are, and the sides have changed. He's all about getting every DS, Wii, 360 game there is for free, and I've grown tired of it ... maybe :)

homebrewlover

• 16-bit
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 11:35:03 PM »
I used to know a guy that was all about doing the "right thing" and paying for all the games he got. Meanwhile I'm a stealin fiend downloading every game there is. Now here we are, and the sides have changed. He's all about getting every DS, Wii, 360 game there is for free, and I've grown tired of it ... maybe :)
I can understand gettin tired of Downloading wii and ds games... there's been like no new ones well besides punch out!! and boom blox blash party...

I KILL THEM!!!!!!

gblock

• 64-bit
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 01:04:43 AM »
If I had a DS...again, I'd be downloading games like I always have.  As far as my Wii goes, I do download every Virtual Console and WiiWare game BUT I do buy retail games (haven't installed backup playing capabilities yet).  If I have stuff to buy for the system, it keeps me from getting rid of it.

homebrewlover

• 16-bit
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 02:35:35 AM »
If I had a DS...again, I'd be downloading games like I always have.  As far as my Wii goes, I do download every Virtual Console and WiiWare game BUT I do buy retail games (haven't installed backup playing capabilities yet).  If I have stuff to buy for the system, it keeps me from getting rid of it.

Yea i feel you there the only retail game i got and still play is ssbb the rest are a bunch of kiddy games my moms got but i do have like over a 100 burned games...

I KILL THEM!!!!!!

Adam Bomb 669

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 10:00:37 AM »
only black people at walmart?
All I ever see is token redneck trailer trash white fucks, big huge disgusting enormous fat white women. and old people and the ocasional regular person.

Call_me_sir

• Hardcore n00b
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 11:10:28 AM »
only black people at walmart?
All I ever see is token redneck trailer trash white fucks, big huge disgusting enormous fat white women. and old people and the ocasional regular person.
I counted 6 electric scooters at my walmart, plus at least one I saw a fat lady riding on in the store.
I've been sitting around eating doritos since school got out, pretty soon I'll be able to ride around in one without looking like a punk.

willplayer

• 128-bit
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 08:54:20 AM »
Oh god, the fat people LIVE at wal mart, I forgot about them. They're stupid lazy and disabled. They're sickening to look at. One got in my fucking way as I was about to check a movie out from redbox ... so I came back 5 minutes later and she had moved, but in front of some drink machine. Stupid!

Adam Bomb 669

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 06:13:23 AM »
I should be able to sue them fat fucks for emotional trauma and indecent exposure. I dont give a shit what anyone says, the kind of fatness you see there is beyond indecent.

homebrewlover

• 16-bit
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 12:18:37 PM »
I should be able to sue them fat fucks for emotional trauma and indecent exposure. I dont give a shit what anyone says, the kind of fatness you see there is beyond indecent.
You BASTARD you just brought back horrible memories stored deep in my subconsiounce

I KILL THEM!!!!!!