47797 Posts in 5481 Topics - by 11211 Members - Latest Member: grem45

Author Topic: 10 Things to Do with Your New DSi  (Read 4528 times)

retro_killa

• 128-bit
  • You must be the change you want 2 see in the world
    • Colorblind Designs
10 Things to Do with Your New DSi
« on: April 17, 2009, 10:37:27 PM »
   1. Accessorize:
      Just as every ride rightly deserves to be pimped, every handheld deserves a little accessorizing. Despite the fact that the DSi has a genuinely solid feel with a sturdy matte casing (similar to that of the latter generation two-tone DS Lites), the system is far from indestructible. To that end, your first supplementary purchases should be utilitarian in nature. A nice case is the best place to start. But if you, like me, find the current crop of domestic options a little underwhelming, don't hesitate to take a look at the dizzying array of products available on the import market. Japan had a significant head start with regard to the original product launch, so that region offers a much wider variety of cases and sleeves. Other oft-overlooked protective accessories include the super useful wrist strap (to help reduce the chance of drop damage) and screen covers (to prevent scratching).

2. Smile!:
      From the earliest days of the product reveal, Nintendo has touted the system's twin cameras. Despite some misinformation floating around at the time of my original post, both cameras are 0.3 megapixel in resolution. That produces a mere 640x480 pixel capture image, which is pale by today's standards. Still, while this certainly won't replace your current digital for capturing those vacation highlights, it's more than adequate for having a little good-natured fun. So snap a pic of yourself with the kiddies, and use the preloaded software to warp the image in any number of ridiculous ways. Sure, it's not exactly a system seller in and of itself, but it's undeniably amusing.

3. Give it a listen:
      This same application also allows DSi users to record their own sounds using the system's on-board microphone. These can likewise be manipulated via a series of filters with self-explanatory monikers like "Parakeet," "Electric Fan," "Low Harmony" and "Trumpet." This channel only has space for 18 voice recordings of no longer than 10 seconds each, so you do face rather limited storage. Of course, as this isn't exactly the DSi's most compelling feature I can't imagine anyone is too broken up by these constraints.

5. Configure Your Wireless Access:6. Link Your Account:
      Of course, before you proceed to the DSi Shop, you'll be given the opportunity to link your new system to your existing Club Nintendo account. This will instantly register any games downloaded through the service so that you can accrue "coins" for these purchases and any follow-up surveys that may become available through the Club Nintendo site. Coins can be redeemed for exclusive reward items like game cases, card sets and various other Nintendo-related goodies.

7. Claim Your Free Points:
      DSi games are purchased using a point system, just like Wiiware and Virtual Console titles, but Nintendo has seen fit to reward those who access the DSi shop before October 5, 2009 with 1000 free points. Claim those bad boys and proceed at long last to the virtual storefront of the DSi Shop.

8. Snag the Browser:
      Rather than suffer buyer's remorse, I elected to save my free Nintendo Points for a rainy day. (But I certainly won't judge you for spending yours on any of the currently available titles.) With that in mind, my only real suggestion for a day-one acquisition from the DSi Shop is the free Opera Browser. Though certainly not your most robust mobile viewing option, the browser loads quickly, controls smoothly via the touch screen and features a pair of different viewing options to suit varying tastes. Those whose opinions were soured by Opera's previous DS outing will be pleased by not only the price (the original DS/DS Lite Browser cart and RAM expansion retailed for $29.99), but the improved functionality as well. Sure, YouTube's still a no-go, but after a few minutes of adjustment you'll be tweeting with the best of them!

9. Play a Game Already!:
      Bells and whistles aside, the DSi is foremost a gaming device, and this is where it shines. The extra screen real estate, as scant as it might seem at first, serves you well, particularly in games like Peggle Dual Shot or GTA: Chinatown Wars where the top screen features an abundance of concurrent sprites. Likewise, the d-pad and face/shoulder buttons feel substantial, springy and well-placed. So now, after goofing off with ancillary features for a half-hour or so, slap in your favorite title and really take the DSi for a test drive.

10. Buy a New Flash Cart:
Code: [Select]
http://blog.wired.com/geekdad/2009/04/10-things-to-do.html

Elite Evil

• Well hung poster
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
Re: 10 Things to Do with Your New DSi
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 03:57:57 AM »
So to summarise it is a DSL without a GBA slot, a wank camera, shitty MP3 playback and access to a money sink?
Freedom headquarters!

Adam Bomb 669

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 05:26:38 AM »
sounds like an ipod...... trade that bullshit for a DS or DSlite.

willplayer

• 128-bit
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 06:23:28 AM »
yeaaaah a DSi with 20 gb of music on it! Sweet! Even has all these silly apps like ... Mario dancing on your ds :) but sadly it doesn't let you call Mario or Princess Peach ... maybe Bowser or Sonic if we're lucky.

i_got_you60

• 64-bit
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 08:12:41 AM »
in other words its got nothing new and its just a gimmick thats been pulled by nintendo.
i would'nt buy it if i already had a ds.besides no gba slot is a bummer

retro_killa

• 128-bit
  • You must be the change you want 2 see in the world
    • Colorblind Designs
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 12:38:55 AM »
I can not believe that Nintendo removed the GBA slot WTF ?

willplayer

• 128-bit
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 04:40:31 PM »
Time to move on from the old shit, dude! I doubt the DS base cared much about the GBA slot anymore :(

Elite Evil

• Well hung poster
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 05:36:09 PM »
Most are preoccupied with learning to walk.
Freedom headquarters!

willplayer

• 128-bit
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 08:36:17 PM »
LOL

Adam Bomb 669

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 11:12:46 AM »
Most are preoccupied with learning to walk.
HAHAHAHAHAHA! thats excellent.  unless I can emulate at full speed a GBA on it then I dont care about DSi. not to mention N64. maybe with the extra ram thats possible.
Are there Miis on the DSi?

willplayer

• 128-bit
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 06:25:32 PM »
How much you wanna bet ... ;) lol jk

Honestly I don't think it even involves Mii's. I might be wrong.