47847 Posts in 5487 Topics - by 11330 Members - Latest Member: chaosdu55

Author Topic: Anybody play any good new games lately?  (Read 45668 times)

Donkeyboy

• SegaHub's prodigal son. I show up with the wind.
  • Administrator
  • 64-bit
  • Everyday Legend
Re: Anybody play any good new games lately?
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2009, 08:03:25 AM »
I play the demos first.  If it's something worth having, then I have it, and that's the way I roll.
If the demo doesn't make me want to play more, then I won't even waste my time thinking about buying it.  But if it gets me and I think I could have fun with it, it's a wrap, and there goes up to $15 to fuel my need to not feel boredom and my need for novelty.  Like that goddamn PixelJunk Monsters on PS3 - it ate my soul, man.  And it was a fucking demo.  After kicking that one around for about 4 and a half minutes of saying, "Well, that was a lot of fun...I wonder if I should pick that up?", I finally decide to and it eats my soul for WEEKS.  And now I feel the same way about The Last Guy.  I play the demo, find out that it's a lot of fun and charming as hell, and I want to spent another ten bucks to satiate my desire for cheap thrills.

And no, I don't just d/l the newest game, good or bad.  I try them all, granted, but very few make the cut, considering what all unadulterated crap is out there.  Merv Griffin's Crosswords?  Blow me.  Even that Doritos game sucked, and that was free, and I'm SO glad for that.  I want to know how that game became the winner of any contest, it's like playing Blast Corps in the 7th circle of hell.  The only other free games I've ever gotten from XBL were Aegis Wing, which was a pretty good shmup considering the relative inexperience of the team that made it, Undertow (which I would have NEVER paid for), and Renaissance Faire road-building simulator Carcassone (same law applies).

But through all of this, there's stuff like SSF2THDR, Rez HD, Triggerheart Excelica, Ikaruga, Castle Crashers, Catan, the original SoulCalibur, Braid...there's a lot worth playing (and a lot that was already on DC, but I want my 1080, you dig?).  Add in the fact that MvC2 is on PartnerNet (XBL's special developer-only, invite-only, NDA-signing backdoor funhouse) and there's another wad of cash that I'm willing to spend to twerk some faces online. 

How do I afford all of this?  I only pay for my XBLA games, but I get the MS points at discount.  Out of all those (disc-based) games I just listed, I own 5 out of the 30 I listed (that were on disc).  I play the rest for FREE, no torrent, all legit.  But how I do that is a secret I keep to myself.  Blah.  :D
XBL Gamertag: Everyday Legend  -  PSN ID: Everyday_Legend  -  Steam: Everyday Legend
Dtoid: Everyday Legend  -  Raptr: Everyday Legend  -  Twitter: Everyday_Legend

Yep.  There's a theme.

willplayer

• 128-bit
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2009, 08:53:50 AM »
I'm intrigued, and I wish you could tell us ... :( but okay ;)

call_me_sir

• Hardcore n00b
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2009, 09:03:12 AM »
Well apparently if he told us how, we'd all do it, and he wouldn't be able to do it anymore. That's the vibe I'm getting.

willplayer

• 128-bit
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2009, 09:22:04 AM »
I'm having a feeling it's got to do with working with Gamestop or something, I mean how else could it be done? I dunno! Oh well ... :( lol I'm such a loser.

mr.giggity

• Global Moderator
  • 128-bit
  • Giggity giggity goo!!
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2009, 02:53:37 PM »
How about a game reviewer? He'd get new stuff to test then, and we all know he's got the literary inclination to do such a job. But the more we speculate, the more donks loves it as it was his intention from the get go...

Ya Yooooooose!!

willplayer

• 128-bit
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2009, 09:54:21 PM »
Well I don't have connections like that ... at all ... so ... ok ;D

SolidMetal

« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2009, 11:29:28 PM »
so whose all buying Street Fighter 4?

call_me_sir

• Hardcore n00b
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2009, 03:32:24 AM »
Not me. Well, I don't plan on it at least.
I'm sure it'll be cool, but I just can't see myself playing it for very long.

willplayer

• 128-bit
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2009, 08:17:54 AM »
I just imagine it'd have more characters, levels ... that's all :)

Ofnir_leader

• 64-bit
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2009, 08:17:17 PM »

Me, just cause im a SF fan whore with proud XD
@Dreamcast Witch@

call_me_sir

• Hardcore n00b
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2009, 07:02:58 AM »
Gears of war is really boring, I can't seem to find the will power to actually beat the game. And the controls are sluggish.  Once you start reloading you can't stop to attack, and the chainsaw only works when it wants to. Anyone else think so?

willplayer

• 128-bit
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2009, 10:13:44 AM »
i never really liked gears of war :(

call_me_sir

• Hardcore n00b
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2009, 10:44:06 AM »
What's a really great 360 exclusive? I don't even know what I want to buy next.

willplayer

• 128-bit
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2009, 08:26:57 AM »
I'm tryin to think but ... I'm really not sure where you could start. I sold my 360 just the other day. Bittersweet!

call_me_sir

• Hardcore n00b
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2009, 08:45:06 AM »
Whatcha gettin instead?

i_got_you60

• 64-bit
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2009, 09:07:12 AM »
a pc  ;D

willplayer

• 128-bit
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2009, 09:11:21 AM »
I got a Wii and hacked it :) it was worth renting Twilight Princess for :D I got tired of Microsoft's greediness.

call_me_sir

• Hardcore n00b
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2009, 10:18:59 AM »
I'll never pay a dime for xbox live. Free online with ps3, and the wireless controllers even have built in chargeable batteries. I totally know what you mean, I've had all the systems now though, everything seems dull. After RE5 I'll probably just bide my time till the next elder scrolls.

call_me_sir

• Hardcore n00b
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2010, 12:05:12 AM »
Just bought a new game and I wanted to find this old thread to post on. So basically since the last post right above this one, I've only been buying gamecube games and consoles. But I just bought infamous for PS3, it looks awesome. I haven't been keeping up lately at all. I still need to try assassins creed 2 sometime soon.

I also wanted to brag on my system collection a little bit, it's not THAT great but I'm still working on it. Right now I have: Ps1, Dreamcast, Xbox, Ps2, Gamecube, 360, ps3. In the near future I'm planning on getting a n64 and a saturn.
I'm not trying to get every system, just the ones I think I'll actually play so really I'm just keeping it to systems I've owned in the past.

AmberButane

• 16-bit
  • Amber Butane Corps
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2010, 03:11:29 AM »
My gamecube is covered in dust, and in dust it shall stay.  I've done the same as nintendo.... given up on it!
and it had so much potential....  and THAT is why I still hesitate to get a Wii.

I also hesitate to get a PS3...  so, as an owner of many next gen consoles; what is your opinion?  I hate Xbox... so that's right out.  But I've noticed a few PS3 owners jumping ship to Xbox with arguements that PS3 is a sinking ship.  Whassupwitdat?!  The word is that too many good games and developers are going Xbox exclusive?  But isn't PS3 sooooooooo much better?  I know that never matters (historicaly speaking) but still....   

I mean sure Xbox may or may not have a few good titles coming soon... but will anybodie's 360s still be working in a few months (ya know, because Xbox's are infamous for breaking down)?

So until the Sega rises again I'll stick to my DS, it's too simple to worry with.

Saturns rock in a sucky old charming way, btw.  Get one! 

THE SEEDS OF CRIME BEAR BITTER FRUIT, YOU OLD HAG!!!!!!