47797 Posts in 5481 Topics - by 11211 Members - Latest Member: grem45

Author Topic: "Games for Windows" pisses me off!  (Read 3675 times)

Generalidea

• Forum Cowboy/Gangster
  • 128-bit
  • Would you say... a million?
"Games for Windows" pisses me off!
« on: September 26, 2008, 03:53:02 AM »
Man, it makes me mad to see microsoft getting their hook into so many games nowdays, I hate seeing the neon colors of the 360 buttons on my windows pc when installing new games! that sucks so much! Its like you're constantly being reminded, "by the way, this game wasn't built with your computer in mind" it bothers me so!  Also, the fact that the 360 controller is being enforced as a standard for pc gaming is retarded, its just microsoft getting another foot-in-the-door-

- I never had any trouble getting my logitech pads working on the pc for the few games I would ever use a controller with.
- the 360 controller is a favorite of many gamers, does microsoft think if they didn't enforce something people would use infirior devices?

I'd like to think its not just my computer liberatarianism being stirred into a frenzy over suspicions of future repression.

Any thoughts?

Call_me_sir

• Hardcore n00b
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
Re: "Games for Windows" pisses me off!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 04:57:37 AM »
I'm not a big fan of the 360 controller, I usually use ps2 controllers on my PC. Obviously M$ has a monopoly on anything PC. No matter how much Linux has risen in popularity theres no way it can compete with windows. It's lame, but they can and will do whatever they want.
I'd imagine the mentality is something like this: "the people who have 360's will be happy they can use their controllers for windows as well, and the people who don't have them will sooner or later be pressured into buying one, because most everyone has a windows PC."

jem

• Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 04:36:20 PM »
I don't know about "games for windows", but I'm glad the 360 controller has become the standard for PC games.

A monopoly can be good or bad.  We all know it's bad when it hampers the release and popularity of competing products that are better...
but it's good when it gives you a really great product for a low price.

I'm not saying the 360 controller is cheap, but it sure is a breath of fresh air in the PC gamepad market. 
I've had tons of horrible PC gamepads over the years, none of which could ever compare to a console pad. 
Not to mention that the 360 controller is like a re-worked design of our beloved Dreamcast controller.

And MS waited a LONG time to finally get into it.  It's not like the rest of the market didn't have a chance; they had plenty of time and made substandard controllers.  Maybe another company will finally make something better, in which case: I'll be happy to ditch the MS controller for the better product.

(I'm enjoying my Saturn USB pad so far ;))

Generalidea

• Forum Cowboy/Gangster
  • 128-bit
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 07:46:56 PM »
The Logitech Rumblepad is as good a controller as any, and its not wholy unknown, but I imagine now they will see their sales figures drop.

Try 'the club' for the PC sometime, its a direct port from the 360, the 'Press 'B'' To _____' was left in, and thats the same with many 'games for windows' games, its totally cheapening the PC gamers experience, its impossible to get immersed into a game when the quicktime events flash 360 buttons on the screen ('press B to dodge' sort of thing) and the only reason that is the case is the fact that Microsoft decided since its their platform, they would monopolize the controller market.

I have a feeling it was Vista, and the whole "not just plug and play" unified system shit that got this ball rolling.

You really can't even compare any Linux dist. to Windows, its not a gamer ready os, just doesn't have the support.

it does have ID soft though! I was playing Return to Castle Wolfenstein natively on Ubuntu a long while back, ran crazy good.

willplayer

• 128-bit
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 09:15:24 PM »
So the games Microsoft is making for Windows implements the fact that you need to start using THEIR 360 controller? That's just another scheme to make you pay more money ... that's MS for you ... it's bs.

But the 360 controller is really great for what it does.

Adam Bomb 669

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 11:36:57 PM »
microsoft has a monopoly for a reason, there the best thing available on pc.  sure linux is decent but only certain people are going to use it, and apple, forget apple thats trendy expensive bullshit.  the 360 controller is the best available on the market so its no surprise that its the standard for pc as well. if the ps2/3 controllers were better, they would make a model and market it for pc.  instaid generic companies copy the model and sell it for 15 dollars at walmart.

jem

• Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 02:33:56 AM »
The best PC games don't use a controller - they use a mouse and keyboard.

And if you wanted an immersive gaming experience, The Club was not the vehicle to get you there.   :P

Adam Bomb 669

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008, 03:49:32 AM »
lol very true.

Generalidea

• Forum Cowboy/Gangster
  • 128-bit
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2008, 05:03:15 AM »
The Club was not the vehicle to get you there.   :P

Come on now, opinion does factor in here. I enjoyed the game.