47847 Posts in 5487 Topics - by 11332 Members - Latest Member: Saturny2X

Author Topic: Wii firmware update 3.0 is safe ??  (Read 14272 times)

willplayer

• 128-bit
Re: Wii firmware update 3.0 is safe ??
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2007, 09:00:51 PM »
My question is, why don't they just try to prevent all this stuff the first time they send out the Wii? I mean they should have come up with all kinds of scenarios and then counteracted with fixes a long time ago before they even distributed the systems ...

xsonicx

• 128-bit
  • XBL: XsonicX08
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2007, 12:09:20 AM »
Oh well, Bad for them, good for us eg: DC piracy that we all do now coz they didn't make sure u couldn't play game cdrs but they tried by making thier games format GD

SKullinator

• 128-bit
  • Since Hub Mk-2
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2007, 06:17:14 AM »
I heard that with the new frimware update, you wont be able to boot homebrew via sd card. the people at DCemu.co.uk seem pretty pissed about it.
"I am Resisting your aggressions against me in favor that they are illegal" ~ some skilled crack head

willplayer

• 128-bit
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2007, 07:11:24 AM »
Well maybe there's still a way. Anything is possible!

Donkeyboy

• SegaHub's prodigal son. I show up with the wind.
  • Administrator
  • 64-bit
  • Everyday Legend
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2007, 07:21:42 AM »
It sounds like they don't want anything like what happened to the original XB.
XBL Gamertag: Everyday Legend  -  PSN ID: Everyday_Legend  -  Steam: Everyday Legend
Dtoid: Everyday Legend  -  Raptr: Everyday Legend  -  Twitter: Everyday_Legend

Yep.  There's a theme.

Copy, right?

• 8-Bit
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2007, 09:01:37 AM »
As far as I can tell the update has only affected GC homebrew created using 'mkisofs' with the El Torito switch.  Naturally the Wiikey and Wiifre config discs won't work.  I have not checked but I am certain that new images are available.   I have tested throughly and have not run across any bricked modded consoles from the update,   nor have I noticed any wii backups being unplayable after the update.

As for drive speeds,  I have found no evidence of firmware updates on DMS or D2B drives.  From what I can tell the average drive speed without using wii OS is 968-1,023  KB/s.    I don't see the wii os doing drive speed checks,  as I can't see the drives achieving speeds much higher than 8x 1,200 KB/s.

I'm surprised they warn you, that's nice of them, lol.

Nintendo really doesn't care too much about piracy.  The R4DS is very popular and Nintendo hasn't done one thing to stop it even though they easily could.

Personally speaking,  I know for a fact they care very much about this.  Sites found hosting wii images and even ROMS will be receiving letters from Nintendo's lawyers.  One bad thing about the VC is that it is reviving old copyrights.  In short,  Nintendo does very much care about piracy.  You will be seeing products like these and wii chips being removed from all major North American resellers.

Donkeyboy

• Administrator
  • 64-bit
  • Everyday Legend
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2007, 09:26:26 AM »
That's what I was smelling all the way back when the VC was first mentioned.  Nintendo is trying to sell their old hits all over again, for much cheaper than the original price, and in an ITunes-style format - just to curb emulation (which isn't practiced widespread, but has enough of a hold on hardcores, and others of our ilk) on their turf under their rules.  It's smart business, not to mention marketing.
XBL Gamertag: Everyday Legend  -  PSN ID: Everyday_Legend  -  Steam: Everyday Legend

Yep.  There's a theme.

willplayer

• 128-bit
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2007, 10:00:48 AM »
... sorry I can't concentrate on this conversation thanks to your sig's jello jiggly butt shakin ... :|

I know piracy is a big deal to Nintendo. This update didn't change that though, as you said. I feel bad that it's even possible to play all of these games in like 10 seconds just by googling. I never thought it to be possible. But I am not going to get a Wii just to play the classics, I mean if I had to I'd just buy the older system and buy the games, which I have already done. I still love Nintendo. And even though I know it is possible to get an xb/xb360 game for free on the net, I still show my respects by paying the money. Modding the system was mostly just to play all the shitty games I didn't care much for. It didn't take too long til I sold the thing.

Donkeyboy

• Administrator
  • 64-bit
  • Everyday Legend
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2007, 01:35:25 AM »
There's amazing things coming for the Wii.  Anytime you sell a system, I think of it as selling a child.

Yep.  There's a theme.

Jemsic

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2007, 02:08:44 AM »
..and there's something wrong with selling children?   

:P

xsonicx

• 128-bit
  • XBL: XsonicX08
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2007, 03:40:23 AM »
LMAO!!!

willplayer

• 128-bit
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2007, 09:01:42 AM »
hahaha