47802 Posts in 5481 Topics - by 11214 Members - Latest Member: kidofthe80s

Author Topic: Chicago pulling GTA IV ads  (Read 1895 times)

retro_killa

• 128-bit
  • You must be the change you want 2 see in the world
    • Colorblind Designs
Chicago pulling GTA IV ads
« on: April 23, 2008, 01:43:44 AM »

New York City politicians were decidedly unhappy when they first found out Grand Theft Auto IV's Liberty City setting was a thinly veiled take on the Big Apple, but with a week to go before the game's release, the biggest gripe about the game is rising out of Chicago. The local Fox affiliate is reporting that the Chicago Transit Authority plans to pull an advertising campaign for the latest criminal action game from Rockstar Games and Take-Two Interactive.

The Fox report--available as a video clip on the station's Web site--begins by noting this past weekend was "an especially violent" one for Chicago, which left dozens of people shot and six dead.

"And what did we spot on CTA buses and platforms," anchor Andy Roesgen asked. "Advertisements for the unapologetically violent video game Grand Theft Auto."

Roesgen then recaps a 2004 stir over CTA ads for Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas on the PlayStation 2. In that incident, Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich (whose game restriction legislation was declared unconstitutional, much to the expense of the state's taxpayers) criticized the CTA for accepting the $90,000 ad campaign, but the ads were set to come down anyway by the time the issue drew attention.

The Fox report cited a CTA representative as saying that transit authority president Ron Huberman had decided to pull the advertising campaign. Neither Take-Two Interactive nor the CTA had returned GameSpot's requests for comment as of press time.

Code: [Select]
http://www.gamespot.com/pages/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=26355342&part=rss&tag=gs_news&subj=6189647

willplayer

• 128-bit
Re: Chicago pulling GTA IV ads
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 01:49:02 AM »
Watch mommy, I'm going to blow up the statue of liberty! Pleeeease  ::)

Donkeyboy

• SegaHub's prodigal son. I show up with the wind.
  • Administrator
  • 64-bit
  • Everyday Legend
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 06:02:00 AM »
This is bullshit.  This is what happens when Fox News becomes the source of information, people are getting scared of a non-threatening GTA ad, but there will be an ad for an "R" rated movie on those fuckers and nobody will bat an eye, I guarantee you.
XBL Gamertag: Everyday Legend  -  PSN ID: Everyday_Legend  -  Steam: Everyday Legend
Dtoid: Everyday Legend  -  Raptr: Everyday Legend  -  Twitter: Everyday_Legend

Yep.  There's a theme.

woodieq

• 32-bit
  • awesome dc
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 02:41:32 AM »
people really need to chill about the violence in video games cause it really is the same basic concept of a movie but sales can be easily controlled by parents and stores

and because the average gamer is not a child, what's the problem of airing ads to the main people the game is aimed towards

Donkeyboy

• SegaHub's prodigal son. I show up with the wind.
  • Administrator
  • 64-bit
  • Everyday Legend
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 06:31:46 AM »
It's because the medium still carries the face of Mario.  People assume that games are for children, even to this day.

Wait another five to ten years.  Watch as the industry comes into its own, and watch how it takes the fuck over.  I guarantee it.
XBL Gamertag: Everyday Legend  -  PSN ID: Everyday_Legend  -  Steam: Everyday Legend
Dtoid: Everyday Legend  -  Raptr: Everyday Legend  -  Twitter: Everyday_Legend

Yep.  There's a theme.