47847 Posts in 5487 Topics - by 11331 Members - Latest Member: Cipango

Author Topic: a few things that piss me off about the wii  (Read 5804 times)

woodieq

• 32-bit
  • awesome dc
a few things that piss me off about the wii
« on: April 18, 2008, 06:15:45 AM »
ok, i like the wii, i think brawl is good, galaxy is good, don't really like zelda, but that's just me and i like prime 3

but what i don't like:

friend codes

av plug

and how the wiimote has no kill switch

ok, i don't like the friend codes because they should be simple and easy to remember, like "Hey what's your friend tag" "OH it's woodieq"

that's simple, but nintendo seemed to like the damn password system from kid Icarus and metroid

now the av plug complaint is simple: it should be like the snes/n64 and gcn cable

i know that the new one was designed to support the 480i tvs and support composite video, but the two ports when compared (my snes is on top of my wii) they look extremely similar

dah dah dah dah!

my biggest complaint is......the damn wiimote's power!

omfg why couldn't they make it simple like the 360?

c'mon nintendo! put a f*cking kill switch on it! ugh

every time i get hungry, go to the bathroom, or go somewhere, i have a tendency to leave the controller on and nuke my batteries!

does anyone agree? what are your complains about the wii or other consoles?

jem

• Administrator
  • 128-bit
Re: a few things that piss me off about the wii
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 06:24:50 AM »
I agree with just about everything there.

A hard power switch is necessary for all electronics.

And the friend codes thing bugged me when I had a DS. 
Nintendo should have customers register usernames instead.

I don't really care about the AV cable though.  As long as it comes with one, I'm happy ;).

darkNiGHTS

• soccerboi
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
  • Is it getting dark in here, or is it just me?
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 06:48:55 AM »
The Wiimote automatically turns off if you don't press any buttons, so it really can't have much affect on battery life.  I do agree that it should have an off switch though.

I don't really understand your complaint about the A/V cable, are you saying that you don't like it because it's a different shape than the N64/GameCube?

Friend codes, I totally agree.

The only thing that really pisses me off about the Wii (not a big online gamer) is the crap that most third parties are putting out because they want games out as quick as possible to cash in on the craze.

willplayer

• 128-bit
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 07:42:52 AM »
I never noticed some of those problems. But I'd agree with the friend codes and DK's 3rd party problem. Nintendo is really the only company chuckin out good games here. Maybe a couple others too.

I think my biggest problem is the marketplace. Everything on there costs like $5, it's just ridiculous to me that I can get all of those games for free on the net but they cost $5 on the Wii ... geesh! :(

Generalidea

• Forum Cowboy/Gangster
  • 128-bit
  • Would you say... a million?
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 10:13:22 AM »
If your talking about the virtual console, I've purchased hard copies of most of the titles on there, many at full retail price, so paying anything for them nowadays just seems absurd. Granted they are still good games, you figure they aren't paying manufacturing costs for the games anymore, and most of the games can be weighed in kilobytes, what your getting isn't costing them a thing, just seems wrong to me.

DarthBong

• 8-Bit
  • Muad'Dib
    • Chet and Aram at the Millwork Desk
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 11:25:02 AM »
I agree with the Wiimote point.. but I usually play Brawl with my Wavebird (which has a killswitch) so it's not an issue for me.

I 100% agree with the AV port thing.. I was seriously ranting about this to my wife last weekend. I have so many S-Video cables for SNES/N64/GCN that I can't use for the Wii. So what if the Wii Video port was designed for "hi-def" output? The GameCube had a hi-def port as well, in addition to the normal port. It's not as if this is tru "hi-def" output in any sense of the meaning, either. Not to mention that the GCN hi-def cable doesn't fit in the Wii's AV port.. GRR. Just like the DS/DS Lite AC Adapter issue... not interchangeable means my wife and I have to carry 2 chargers with us in the car instead of one.

The friend codes are a slight irritation, but I think it's worse that they don't let you chat with your friends or see customized info about them ala Xbox live.. it makes it seem SO impersonal. Like, how do you even know you're playing your friends? It may just be an AI connecting to your Wii with your friend's registered nick.

Third parties need to quit. How many life simulation mini-game collections can we handle? The two games I own are Brawl and Galaxy... I tried Zelda and was meh'd by it. I got it for the 'Cube instead. Haven't had a chance to play Metroid Prime 3, but I hope this will end the Prime series... It's been going far too long. I can't wait for Animal Crossing Wii!

Also, I own 90% of the games on the virtual console in real, tangible format. Why pay more than current market value for those games? It doesn't make sense... Though, I suppose now Ninty will be able to start raising a stink against ROM servers since they (Nintendo) are selling "NES games" again. May hold up in court, too... "Well, the XXXXXX site is cutting illegally into our profits by offering a stolen version of our current product for any person to download free of charge." GREAT.

Bah on corporate decision making. Bah on fascism.

bernie

• 128-bit
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 04:37:04 PM »
Also, I own 90% of the games on the virtual console in real, tangible format. Why pay more than current market value for those games? It doesn't make sense... Though, I suppose now Ninty will be able to start raising a stink against ROM servers since they (Nintendo) are selling "NES games" again. May hold up in court, too... "Well, the XXXXXX site is cutting illegally into our profits by offering a stolen version of our current product for any person to download free of charge." GREAT.

Bah on corporate decision making. Bah on fascism.

how DARE a company try to make money off of things that they sell? 

btw, why not complain about the fact that xbla sells lots of old games too?  do you have a problem with a game like ikaruga being sold again, since its old and available for download?  and should a record company stop pressing old records because its possible to download the music off of the internet for free?

wickidweasel

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 08:36:57 PM »
Apart from the lack of decent games i have no complaint about the Wii more fool anyone who pays for VC games. As for the cable composite is the best selection for compatibility for most TV and after all if your using anything less than component you should just sell your wii and invest in a decent TV. battery drainage can be a bitch but i generally just flick one out if im away for a period of time but after reading about a switch ill probably mod mine as it will cost only a few pence and a couple of mins to do.

maybe if it was called Gamecube Lite more people would Have known what to expect

willplayer

• 128-bit
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 10:30:32 PM »
There's something called rechargeable batteries, I'm sure if I got a wii I'd have no problem with that :)

Generalidea

• Forum Cowboy/Gangster
  • 128-bit
  • Would you say... a million?
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 11:42:39 PM »
Rechargeable hold less a charge, I think the expense is second to utility.

jem

• Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 12:04:08 AM »
What kinda cheap rechargeable batteries do you buy?  I got some Sanyo Eneloops and they hold far more of a charge than disposable batteries.  Plus, they're rechargeable, made in Japan, and rock your socks.

DarthBong

• 8-Bit
  • Muad'Dib
    • Chet and Aram at the Millwork Desk
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 04:50:50 AM »
how DARE a company try to make money off of things that they sell? 

btw, why not complain about the fact that xbla sells lots of old games too?  do you have a problem with a game like ikaruga being sold again, since its old and available for download?  and should a record company stop pressing old records because its possible to download the music off of the internet for free?

Oh, no.. you missed my point entirely. I don't have any problem whatsoever with a company selling their product. They still hold the patents, trademarks, service marks and copyrights on these games. I'm more than fine with that.

The thing I have the problem with is charging more than current market value for a hard copy of the game. But, again, that's just my personal opinion on it. I'm not going to go and buy virtual console games when I have all the original hardware and games for these consoles can often be bought for pennies on the dollar. Plus there's something to be said for finding a rare game in the wild for cheap. :D

On the flip side, I don't want the virtual console to go away, because it's showing n00blet gamers some of the majesty that I - and I'm sure some of you others - grew up with. And the more exposure classic gaming has to a wider audience, the better IMHO.

Donkeyboy

• SegaHub's prodigal son. I show up with the wind.
  • Administrator
  • 64-bit
  • Everyday Legend
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2008, 10:51:10 PM »
VC is great, but it could be better - where's my fucking Chrono Trigger, bitches?
XBL Gamertag: Everyday Legend  -  PSN ID: Everyday_Legend  -  Steam: Everyday Legend
Dtoid: Everyday Legend  -  Raptr: Everyday Legend  -  Twitter: Everyday_Legend

Yep.  There's a theme.

darkNiGHTS

• soccerboi
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
  • Is it getting dark in here, or is it just me?
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2008, 05:21:45 AM »
That's up to squenix.

Adam Bomb 669

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2008, 06:24:12 AM »
square need not apply for any of my money.