47847 Posts in 5487 Topics - by 11332 Members - Latest Member: blue88eagles

Author Topic: [DC] Fixing Dreamcast Resetting Problem  (Read 16683 times)

mr.giggity

• Global Moderator
  • 128-bit
  • Giggity giggity goo!!
[DC] Fixing Dreamcast Resetting Problem
« on: March 04, 2008, 05:24:36 PM »
We all know that the dreamcast has been around for quite a while, and some of the older ones will start to develop a problem with the power supply. Dreamcasts are notorious for this problem. The dreamcast will reset itself, usually at the worst possible moment. Some people might think this is caused by a bad burn, or even the laser dying. The truth is that eight times out of ten it will just need the power connectors freshened up. Here's an easy guide to show you how.

Before we begin:
By following the instructions in this tutorial you acknowledge that you are dealing with an electrical product, and such products can retain an electrical charge that may hurt, or even kill you. You also acknowledge that by following this tutorial I will accept no reponsibility should any damage be caused to you or your dreamcast. I urge you take every precaution to avoid this occuring

Now that the boring legals are out of the way, lets begin.

Step 1
Make sure you remove all controllers, discs and leads from your dreamcast. I also suggest you remove any jewellery and "earth" yourself by touching something metal with both hands (such as a pc casing). This will remove any small electrical charges from your body. Remove the modem from your dreamcast. You will notice a screw where the modem was. Remove all 4 screws from the base of the dreamcast. Do not remove the lid just yet.

Flip the dreamcast right way up and press the eject button before removing the lid.

Step 2
You will then be able to see the internal section. Firstly remove the Plug as indicated by the green rectangle. Secondly remove the 2 screws as indicated by the red circles. Then carefully remove the powerboard, noting the clip indicated by the red square. Do not use excessive force, be gentle using equal force on both ends. Your powerboard should come out with relative ease.

At this point you should see a dreamcast that looks like the following picture. Do not remove the plastic seperator indicated by the large red rectangle. The small red rectangle indicates the connector pins for the powerboard.

Step 3
The six pins in the dreamcast will need a good clean. I recommend using a brillo pad/steel wool for this. Do not use excessive presssure on them, nor use any liquid - especially water. After giving them a good scrub down, you have the option to give them a slight bend towards the rear of the dreamcast, enabling them to grip the powerboard more efficiently. Once again, be careful not to use too much force or they could snap.

Finalising
Re-attach your powerboard taking care not to force it onto the pins, remembering the small plastic clip. Once again it should go back on with ease. Put the screws back into the powerboard, securing it in place. Re-attach the white plug then the lid, flip your dreamcast upside down and insert all 4 screws. Finally re-attach your modem and you should be on your way to uninterrupted gaming! :D
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 06:55:26 PM by mr.giggity »

Ya Yooooooose!!

call_me_sir

• Hardcore n00b
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
Re: [DC] Fixing Dreamcast Resetting Problem
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 07:33:36 PM »
Very nice guide!

zilpha

• 8-Bit
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 08:07:18 PM »
I had this problem GD ROMs work but CDRs didn't, just fixed the problem using this guide. The DC now runs perfectly with no reset problems.

Thanks

8)

nunex_16

• 16-bit
  • Dreamcast Rules!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 05:10:49 PM »
it really works. thank you very much

Jae_Mizz

• 8-Bit
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 08:27:24 PM »
Thanx for guide, it fixed the problem I had.

mr.giggity

• Global Moderator
  • 128-bit
  • Giggity giggity goo!!
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 02:04:24 AM »
Ha ha! another happy customer. Glad I helped, it really is an annoying problem

Ya Yooooooose!!

Ofnir_leader

• 64-bit
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 09:25:49 AM »
I still have this problem, ill try it this weekend...
@Dreamcast Witch@

fuzzdaddyo

• 8-Bit
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 03:24:14 AM »
Great tutorial, I tried it and it works like a charm.