47847 Posts in 5487 Topics - by 11332 Members - Latest Member: Saturny2X

Author Topic: Working on the forums  (Read 17400 times)

darkNiGHTS

• soccerboi
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
  • Is it getting dark in here, or is it just me?
Re: Working on the forums
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2007, 05:20:04 AM »
you mean the top banner picture?
Yeah, it looks a little noobish :p.

I'll try to see if I can adjust the width of the forums, mesh.

Link2097

• 32-bit
  • MVC2 Rocks!!!
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2007, 05:43:40 AM »
hiro is that like your 5th avatar change this week lol
My Most Played MVC2 Characters(in no order): Cable, Magneto, Ironman, Captain Commando,

HiroPro

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2007, 05:51:56 AM »
hiro is that like your 5th avatar change this week lol
HAhaha..yeah its darkNiGHTS fault I just keep using pics from the Covers Archive.

Link2097

• 32-bit
  • MVC2 Rocks!!!
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2007, 05:57:02 AM »
its darkNiGHTS fault I just keep using pics from the Covers Archive.
lol
My Most Played MVC2 Characters(in no order): Cable, Magneto, Ironman, Captain Commando,

Link2097

• 32-bit
  • MVC2 Rocks!!!
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2007, 05:57:59 AM »
current:sea man. next-one:TBA lol

willplayer

• 128-bit
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2007, 07:03:56 AM »
This is a nice new look for the forum! I really like it and the dreamcast swirls! Only thing is, can you find a quicker way for us to look at the new posts and replied posts instead of the "Quick Links" thing?

xsonicx

• 128-bit
  • XBL: XsonicX08
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2007, 11:04:30 AM »
This new layout looks vista-ised, took me a wile to get used 2

liugeaux

• 64-bit
  • The foot clan is owned by no one.
    • Liugeaux on Myspace!
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2007, 11:18:38 AM »
I like most of the changes, I would try to add more textures and/or colors than just the solid black everywhere.  Also, I would rethink "The Dark Side of a Dream" thing...

Mesh

• Administrator
  • 128-bit
  • TESSSSTIFY
    • Segahub
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2007, 11:42:14 AM »
Sweet, Thanks dark :D.

Xiaopang

• 32-bit
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2007, 12:51:49 PM »
hey dark, don't know if you read that, but i like that the overall background color with the standardized white text drastically improves readability compared to the old layout, but you're right. contrasts are too strong. i can see it right now. the reply box uses grey as background color and it's much easier on the eyes than black

here are some suggestions:

* the swirl as icon is nice and all, but it takes too long to see which posts are new. how about using different colored swirls? to be honeyt, i liked the old layout's way of telling you which thread was new better, because it fitted the style of the subforums very much. example: you have the huge orange swirls on the front page. the orange color totally breaks out of the whole style, but if you go to any subforum, it lacks the color and thus irritates the eyes, which are still looking for the swirls

* the small "segahub.org" line above the threads isn't a link any more when being on the front page. i liked to use it to refresh the page

* coded stuff is still extremely hard on the eyes due to the far too small font. compare that to the ones from snesorama. those are perfectly readable because they use a bigger font that also uses a much bigger distance between the characters

edit: i just blocked the off.gif. now only the animated swirls are shown. this looks much better! :)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 04:03:35 PM by Xiaopang »
Be a noob! Don't read the FAQ!!!

i'm outta here...

darkNiGHTS

• soccerboi
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2007, 05:51:12 PM »
To do list:
* Make the forums with unread messages easier to identify.
@will and xiao

I'm already working on it.  Thanks for the suggestions guys.

willplayer

• 128-bit
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2007, 06:58:51 PM »
Yeah I like our segahub logo but it just needs brighter colors. I'm liking it, I know we put it all together weeks ago but I see it now and just think we should make it more colorful :D

darkNiGHTS

• soccerboi
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2007, 10:57:48 PM »
Yeah I like our segahub logo but it just needs brighter colors. I'm liking it, I know we put it all together weeks ago but I see it now and just think we should make it more colorful :D
I think it needs to be more plain and colorful and more integrated into this theme.  I think it should blend into the background up there.

darkNiGHTS

• soccerboi
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2007, 11:19:49 PM »
Hey Xiao, you can turn off your adblock now, I fixed the icons. :P  I think it has a really cool effect.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 11:22:05 PM by darkNiGHTS »

darkNiGHTS

• soccerboi
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2007, 12:00:39 AM »
I updated the logo, I think it looks a little more professional now.  Later tonight I'll see if I can get all of the buttons up there on the bottom line of the top and get rid of the topmost bar.  I doubt I'll be able to with my PHP knowledge, but it's worth a try.

Xiaopang

• 32-bit
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2007, 12:02:40 AM »
Hey Xiao, you can turn off your adblock now, I fixed the icons. :P  I think it has a really cool effect.

this definitely looks much better than using swirls for every thread :) the only downside is that the animated swirl isn't really positioned in the middle of the little box it comes in, but i guess i'm just too anal  :D

edit: i just realized that you still use the old animated swirl for the gaming section. i like this one better than the new one, but which ever one you prefer, don't use both of them. that just looks terrible ;) oh and i also like the new logo
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 12:06:08 AM by Xiaopang »

i'm outta here...

darkNiGHTS

• soccerboi
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2007, 12:09:12 AM »
I'm not using both :P.  The forum has decided to do that for some reason.  I've tried replacing that file with the new one over and over, but it won't go away.

About the not being centered.  I really don't want to have to go through each of the 35 frames of the animation and center them all manually.  I might eventually do it, but it's pretty hard.  If you want to do it, that would make me happy :D.

Xiaopang

• 32-bit
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2007, 12:12:36 AM »
lol i'd rather use the old one :D if you knew through how much boring stuff i have to go through to finish one of my releases, you'd be happy if you just had to mod 35 animation frames ;)

wouldn't it be possible to allow different skins for people to choose from?

i'm outta here...

darkNiGHTS

• soccerboi
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2007, 12:20:23 AM »
The new one is more consistent though and easier to identify.  I actually just went ahead and did it :P.  I was being really lazy when I said that I wasn't going to do it.

We could have people be allowed to chose their skin, but for a forum, a skin is like well, skin.  It should be recognizable as Segahub.  Also, I want to concentrate on this skin and not on any others.

Xiaopang

• 32-bit
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2007, 12:43:41 AM »
The new one is more consistent though and easier to identify.  I actually just went ahead and did it :P.  I was being really lazy when I said that I wasn't going to do it.

and you did it quickly :) it looks so much better now! now i do prefer the new swirl. amazing what such a small correction can do :)

We could have people be allowed to chose their skin, but for a forum, a skin is like well, skin.  It should be recognizable as Segahub.

true. i haven't seen it this way, but it makes totally sense. also this skin is getting better and better :)

i'm outta here...