47847 Posts in 5487 Topics - by 11330 Members - Latest Member: chaosdu55

Author Topic: Give me your late 90s/early 2000s dreamcast memories bruhs!!!11  (Read 5921 times)

spshortman

• Bruh
  • 64-bit
sup bruhs. give me your late 90s early 2000 memories of the dreamcast, the launch, its only two holiday seasons etc.

about a year before the dreamcast launched i had this gaming magazine . i read it all the time in some boring ass class i had in 7th grade. it was showing off the dreamcast and it looked fucking amazing. the magazine featured sonic, virtua fighter 3 and some other random screenshots. i seem to remember some shots of a fps environment and it looked fucking amazing. i started saving money right then and there. a whole year before this shit came out bruhs.

fast forward some months before launch, a game store next town "high tech game center" had a dreamcast on display with virtua fighter 3. i remember thinking holy fuck look how small that thing is! graphics were on another level.

on 9/8/99 i gave my mom my money and told her to go to our local walmart first thing in the mourning and buy that shit. i had no preorder or any idea if they were even getting the dreamcast. when i came home from school and saw the dreamcast, soul cal, sonic adventure and a vmu on the table i fuckin shat myself bruhs.

i was sooo impressed as was everyone i showed it to. i helped sell a lot of dreamcasts to friends and neighbors bruhs. comparing the dreamcast to the n64 and ps1 was like holy fuck next gen has arrived. for a few days i carried my vmu around with me playing that sonic adventure chao thing, was fun until that damn battery died. i fucked around with the modem a little too, playing some quake 3 and doing some interweb surfin. dreamcast was my first online gaming ever and again, shit was mind blowing! everything about the dreamcast was creative and totally blew the previous generation away.

xmas 2000 was one of the most legendary times for videogames ever. at that point the dreamcast was firing down all cylinders with all the games that came out. shenmue, skies etc there were tons of dreamcast games that holiday and every genre was represented and they were quality! i had a friend who bought the dreamcast xmas 2000, a month before sega announced they were leaving the hardware business. bad luck for him and everyone else, but he still had a great time.

its strange how sega was never the same after they left the hardware biz, but at least those 2 years of dreamcast were so insanely concentrated with sega genius that they went out with an ultra mega bang!

i busted out my dreamcast today and hooked it up. its been some years, the nostalgia is hitting me hard bruhs. still looks great hooked up with vga too!11!

ok bruhs tell me your dreamcast stories. take me back 15 years ago to segas final stand and what it meant for you! maybe ill post more dreamcast memories if you guys tell me some! i can talk about the dreamcast for dayzzz!111

https://youtu.be/ihkWPAz26wM

« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 12:03:50 PM by spshortman »

spshortman

• Bruh
  • 64-bit
Re: Give me your late 90s/early 2000s dreamcast memories bruhs!!!11
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 06:49:08 AM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

thanks for the stories bruhs. while the rest of the world is playing the witcher 3 i dropped 50 bones into my dreamcast and bought some shit bruhs:

i was ready to buy hydro thunder but that shit doesnt support vga in any way! BUMMER DUDE LAME! i know it might seem crazy to be on this message board and i want to pay for dreamcast games, but im not gonna destroy my dreamcast playing cd-rs that are missing fmvs and music and shit. only the real deal for dat dreamcasta! when i have more money ill keep growing my library! SEGA

p.s. heres a video of a drunk australian playing sega bass fishing : https://youtu.be/WjBPqvnXDwM

Elite Evil

• Well hung poster
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
Freedom headquarters!

spshortman

• Bruh
  • 64-bit
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 11:38:40 PM »
thanks elite evil you know your shit bruh

darkNiGHTS

• soccerboi
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
  • Is it getting dark in here, or is it just me?
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 03:28:44 AM »
My Dreamcast memories start with buying the Dreamcast in 02 or 03 from eb Games for $15. Definitely changed my life because I got involved in this site :).

spshortman

• Bruh
  • 64-bit
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 04:13:51 AM »
dude imagine buying all the dreamcast stuff on clearance at that time, broadband adapters, system shells etc. be worth a fortune now

Earth

• 8-Bit
  • It's all in the hair.
    • ZombieModding
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 11:11:37 AM »
I played a lot of PSO and for a short period of time I thought Sonic Adventure 2 was the best game out. I started to use gameshark on PSO until I got "Noel'd" (another player transformed me into Noel and I could never level back up) and I got so salty I never used gameshark again for it...yeah, I got owned.

As soon as I found out about emulators for the Dreamcast I would pack as many ROMs as I could with their emulators on their own disc. I just thought it was the coolest thing ever to have multiple consoles in one basically.

tel3caster

• 16-bit
  • s17ic0n
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 02:07:36 AM »
I wish I could actually say I owned a Dreamcast at this time, but I was stuck with a n64 + PC setup for a while (not that I'm complaining). Although, I do remember seeing dreamcast Kiosks running at my local Hollywood Video and FYE. I wasn't as crazy about NFL2K or NBA2K like the other guys, although Sonic Adventure did catch my eyes a couple times. The sequence where he's running from the whale in the beginning stage was amazing. It would be a decade later before i bought my own Dreamcast from eBay. I sold it recently, but the games live on in my PC.

spshortman

• Bruh
  • 64-bit
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 01:27:03 AM »
those are good stories earth and tel3!!111