47847 Posts in 5487 Topics - by 11330 Members - Latest Member: chaosdu55

Author Topic: Do you pay for emulators?  (Read 7137 times)

darkNiGHTS

• soccerboi
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
  • Is it getting dark in here, or is it just me?
Do you pay for emulators?
« on: February 23, 2014, 11:50:31 PM »
It seems like a new trend to charge for emulators on devices that have app stores. Overall, I rarely pirate modern programs but I just don't feel right paying for a program that's sole purpose is to play free illegal games. Do you guys feel differently about that?

Elite Evil

• Well hung poster
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
Re: Do you pay for emulators?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 02:56:44 AM »
I have never needed to, but I use windows. I assume you are referring to androids or macs?
Freedom headquarters!

SKullinator

• 128-bit
  • Since Hub Mk-2
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 05:42:29 AM »
It wouldn't surprise me if some of these paid android emulators borrowed code from open source projects.
"I am Resisting your aggressions against me in favor that they are illegal" ~ some skilled crack head

darkNiGHTS

• soccerboi
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 05:07:48 PM »
I have never needed to, but I use windows. I assume you are referring to androids or macs?
Yep.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dsemu.drastic

That emulator has more than 100k installs and it almost never goes on sale. A few hundred thousand dollars of profit off of Nintendo's IP.

call_me_sir

• Hardcore n00b
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 12:07:08 AM »
I do from time to time. If you look through the Drastic DS reviews you'll see mine eventually. Capcom wouldn't bring phoenix wright to android in english even though it was out in japan? Well ha ha, I have phoenix wright on my phone anyway.
It is totally overpriced, but when you consider the jump from every other ds emulator to drastic you (i) mentally knock off a few bucks anyway.
I also bought fpse, and epsxe, but other than that I use free ones like gensoid and nesoid.
I have to disagree with the "illegal games" argument though. I own a LOT of cartridges for nes snes and genesis. I'd say I own about 99% of the games I'd ever want to emulate. When they're disc based, I usually even rip them myself.
Having said that, I know that downloading a game you own is still technically illegal if you didn't rip it yourself, but I don't find it morally wrong. I just don't have the hardware to do it to my carts.

Earth

• 8-Bit
  • It's all in the hair.
    • ZombieModding
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 01:29:26 AM »
I find it a little ridiculous too, thankfully there are still some good emulators, specifically the .emu series.

darkNiGHTS

• soccerboi
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 07:59:42 PM »
I do from time to time. If you look through the Drastic DS reviews you'll see mine eventually. Capcom wouldn't bring phoenix wright to android in english even though it was out in japan? Well ha ha, I have phoenix wright on my phone anyway.
It is totally overpriced, but when you consider the jump from every other ds emulator to drastic you (i) mentally knock off a few bucks anyway.
I also bought fpse, and epsxe, but other than that I use free ones like gensoid and nesoid.
I have to disagree with the "illegal games" argument though. I own a LOT of cartridges for nes snes and genesis. I'd say I own about 99% of the games I'd ever want to emulate. When they're disc based, I usually even rip them myself.
Having said that, I know that downloading a game you own is still technically illegal if you didn't rip it yourself, but I don't find it morally wrong. I just don't have the hardware to do it to my carts.
I know there is a small percentage of users who use emulators morally, I was more concerned with the developer profiting rather than individual use cases like that (though looking at my original post that wasn't clear).

EKXODUS

• 32-bit
  • 30 hits and the room melts
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 04:36:36 AM »
i cant justify it myself because i dont use my nexus 7 for gaming. i can see why someone would though, if the emulator was feature packed.

retro_killa

• 128-bit
  • You must be the change you want 2 see in the world
    • Colorblind Designs
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 12:02:20 AM »
It seems like a new trend to charge for emulators on devices that have app stores. Overall, I rarely pirate modern programs but I just don't feel right paying for a program that's sole purpose is to play free illegal games. Do you guys feel differently about that?

jailbroken iPhone with emulators

CrazyJunior

• 32-bit
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 08:57:23 PM »
Apple OMG

call_me_sir

• Hardcore n00b
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 12:32:31 AM »
For the record, a surface pro is a nice thing to have. I can play all the elder scrolls games on my tablet with a 360 controller.

retro_killa

• 128-bit
  • You must be the change you want 2 see in the world
    • Colorblind Designs
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2015, 10:34:22 PM »
nope I just find them and use them or use the free emus