47847 Posts in 5487 Topics - by 11330 Members - Latest Member: chaosdu55

Author Topic: Back-Ups Killing my Sega consoles  (Read 6142 times)

Kewpie

• 8-Bit
  • saturn was my youth
    • Special-Attack
Back-Ups Killing my Sega consoles
« on: October 25, 2012, 10:03:02 PM »
For years I've burned/ripped countless titles online and played them on my original hardware. It wasn't until two years ago I was aware the quality of CD-R affects the hardware/console itself.

Most of my back-ups I've played were burned on HP (blue dye) blank CD-R - some Memorex.

My Dreamcast lens started reading over most of my back-ups, but will play GD-ROMS fine.

Now as for my Saturn, I have bought and used the hardware since it's USA release (1995) with actual games. Then I internally modded it 2004 - nearly ten years ago. It always played back-ups fine until 3 years ago. Now it has a hard time reading actual games. It usually freezes, then sometimes plays the audio. I tried a dozen of my back-ups, again burned on HP CD-R, 1/10 worked. 

My question is, is this normal for a old console to wear out lens overtime? or are back-ups doing more damage? is it reversible? I plan on buying JPN SATURN and buying original games in the coming years.

Please visit my thread Rare Retro Games for Sale

call_me_sir

• Hardcore n00b
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
Re: Back-Ups Killing my Sega consoles
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 10:25:29 PM »
This sort of thing is bound to happen whether you use backups or not but they do seem to kill the laser faster. I'm not sure it it's reversible per say, but I was able to fix my dreamcast after it stopped reading backups by opening it up and recalibrating the laser.

Elite Evil

• Well hung poster
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 04:19:22 PM »
Yeah you can turn up the laser. With DCs because they need no modding and are cheap as chips it never upset me, but I imagine if you had a spare saturn you could swap the laser out when it eventually died as long as it is the same model - round buttons/oval buttons and country of manufacture. 

I had my PS2 laser replaced once after it died watching DVD+R DLs but modern CD-Rs are pretty good, I wouldn't worry too much. If you think the discs are bad you could always write new ones?
Freedom headquarters!

EKXODUS

• 32-bit
  • 30 hits and the room melts
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 04:59:18 AM »
think about this next time you're stealing games  8)

call_me_sir

• Hardcore n00b
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 05:00:01 AM »
think about this next time you're stealing games  8)
Not a whole lot of choice if you're a newcomer to Saturn. 10 games could end up costing you over 1k.

EKXODUS

• 32-bit
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 06:56:59 AM »
i have like 20 games, and i bought em cheap used, if i could sell them for 1k per 10, id be happy

call_me_sir

• Hardcore n00b
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 08:36:02 PM »
Well sure it depends on what games you own, here's 3 of my favorites
Panzer Dragoon Saga - ~$400
Albert Odyssey - ~$100
Dragon Force - ~$100

EKXODUS

• 32-bit
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 10:54:18 PM »
whats messed up is i have a big box with original saturn, msx, nes, dreamcast and several other games from other systems and im pretty sure panzer dragoon saga is in there  :-*

call_me_sir

• Hardcore n00b
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 12:30:25 AM »
Well, you could be sitting on a pot of gold. If I was you I'd hold on to it until news of a port hits (if you plan to sell it at all). Who knows, could be up to $600 by then.