47847 Posts in 5487 Topics - by 11330 Members - Latest Member: chaosdu55

Author Topic: VGA Cable  (Read 6944 times)

darkNiGHTS

• soccerboi
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
  • Is it getting dark in here, or is it just me?
VGA Cable
« on: August 26, 2007, 01:44:46 AM »
I think it's about time I upgraded to VGA.  I just have a few questions. 

1. Can I just buy any Dreamcast VGA cable and will they all be the same quality, or are there certain brands I should look for? 
2. Where's the best place to buy them?  eBay? Or is there a good store?
3. Is the cable the only thing I need to get it to output a higher resolution?  I've heard about VGA boxes, but I don't know if you need them too.
4. Is there any difference between the functionality of a VGA box and a VGA cable?

Jemsic

Re: VGA Cable
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 02:33:24 AM »
1.  Yea, they'll all be the same quality.
2.  Racketboy sells them, usually for a bit more than I remember, but they're hard to find now - so your best bet is him.
3.  The cable works great.
4.  A VGA box usually has S-video and RCA outputs for audio also, while the cable just has VGA out and a 1/4" headphone out for pc speakers.
*note:  the vga box will not output vga signal in s-video mode, it will just act as a normal DC S-video cable.

Xiaopang

• 32-bit
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 02:47:25 AM »
i was having the same questions a few weeks ago, when i wanted to hook up my dc to my hdtv via vga. i bought a vga-box and in my opinion it was the best decision ever. the advantage of the vga-box is, that you get a vga-tv switch, which lets you switch between modes on the fly. this is essential, because a lot of original scene releases are not vga-compatible, even though the game works with vga without probs (e.g. sould calibur). there's an old workaround for that. just switch the normal tv-cable with the vga-cable at a certain point while booting. this can be somewhat risky, because changing cables on the fly might produce some failure voltages, which could damage the dc. also, you have to be quite quick. you save yourself the trouble with the vga box and its switch. also, i have hooked up my dc via the vga-box's audio out jack to my surround sound system and it just sounds great. so the vga-box was definitely the better choice for me. i paid about US$25 at ztnetstore.com, but i wouldn't recommend buying it there. you could also check out play-asia.com
Be a noob! Don't read the FAQ!!!

i'm outta here...

Donkeyboy

• SegaHub's prodigal son. I show up with the wind.
  • Administrator
  • 64-bit
  • Everyday Legend
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 09:18:41 AM »
Go VGA.  You'll never go back.
XBL Gamertag: Everyday Legend  -  PSN ID: Everyday_Legend  -  Steam: Everyday Legend
Dtoid: Everyday Legend  -  Raptr: Everyday Legend  -  Twitter: Everyday_Legend

Yep.  There's a theme.

darkNiGHTS

• soccerboi
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 11:15:09 PM »
So will I have to reburn any of my games, or will most of them just work with VGA without a patch?

Also, does this look like a good one?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Hais-VGA-Adapter-For-DreamCast_W0QQitemZ300144072112QQihZ020QQcategoryZ41053QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's only $20 shipped, and it's a box so I can use it with a normal TV too. Not that I really need to use it with a normal TV right now, but the cables cost just as much (most of the time more).

EDIT: Actually, it's the exact same one that's on Racketboy's website for $23 before shipping.  I think that's a good sign so I'll go ahead and buy it.

Xiaopang

• 32-bit
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 11:37:05 PM »
thats the one i have and i can only recommend it :)

you don't have to re-burn all your games. as i said in my last post: there is a workaround and using this box makes it even easier to use it.

i only had very few games like bust-a-move 4 that didn't work even with the workaround, but then you can still use your s-video or composite connection to play the game.

Not that I really need to use it with a normal TV right now, but the cables cost just as much (most of the time more).

that's the exact same reason, why i wanted to buy a box rather than a cable ;)

i'm outta here...

Elite Evil

• Well hung poster
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 02:44:50 AM »
I just bought 2 DCs :P
Freedom headquarters!

SKullinator

• 128-bit
  • Since Hub Mk-2
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 03:06:54 AM »
i wish I could find some VGA boxes for sale locally, I have not the capacity to shop on the net. :(
"I am Resisting your aggressions against me in favor that they are illegal" ~ some skilled crack head

darkNiGHTS

• soccerboi
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 03:36:28 AM »
i wish I could find some VGA boxes for sale locally, I have not the capacity to shop on the net. :(
Why can't you?

SKullinator

• 128-bit
  • Since Hub Mk-2
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 06:06:04 AM »
dont have a credit card (and dont want one), and havent really been bothered to open up a paypal / alternative payment method yet. I guess i could do it, but i like to see inperson b4 I buy, I guess.
"I am Resisting your aggressions against me in favor that they are illegal" ~ some skilled crack head

Donkeyboy

• SegaHub's prodigal son. I show up with the wind.
  • Administrator
  • 64-bit
  • Everyday Legend
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 08:48:35 AM »
DO what I do - get a debit card from your bank.  Made my life 8 billion times easier.
XBL Gamertag: Everyday Legend  -  PSN ID: Everyday_Legend  -  Steam: Everyday Legend
Dtoid: Everyday Legend  -  Raptr: Everyday Legend  -  Twitter: Everyday_Legend

Yep.  There's a theme.

SKullinator

• 128-bit
  • Since Hub Mk-2
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 10:13:44 AM »
I got one, well actually I got 2, I just havent really botherd to explore online shopping yet.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 10:43:24 AM by SKullinator »

ryohazuki

• 32-bit
  • Give me my f#cking mirror back!!!!
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 08:24:32 PM »
I got one, well actually I got 2, I just havent really botherd to explore online shopping yet.

darkNiGHTS

• soccerboi
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007, 01:57:53 AM »
I got the VGA box and it looks amazing!  I just wish I could adjust the view settings on my monitor, it's a little out of line, but I can deal with it.

Xiaopang

• 32-bit
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2007, 02:04:47 AM »
some games support adjusting the picture placement. which box did you buy and for how much?

i'm outta here...

darkNiGHTS

• soccerboi
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
[color=#9900CC]
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2007, 02:10:13 AM »
It was the Hais VGA Box and it was $20 shipped.  The alignment is just my monitor being retarded, its autosensor sucks.