47847 Posts in 5487 Topics - by 11331 Members - Latest Member: Cipango

Author Topic: (HELP)--XBOX 360 Repair 3 Red Lights of Death--(HELP)  (Read 6733 times)

retro_killa

• 128-bit
  • You must be the change you want 2 see in the world
    • Colorblind Designs
(HELP)--XBOX 360 Repair 3 Red Lights of Death--(HELP)
« on: February 17, 2009, 06:56:23 PM »
So long story short is this.

I came home & wanted to stream a video from my Laptop 2 the Xbox360 like I have been doing for ages via the network & media center. The Xbox360 did not go to the main screen instead it went to a pixelated screen & this is what I saw next.

Fooking lame this is the "Ring of Death" I did some random fast searches online to make sure that this is in fact what it was & yes its sure was.

So has anyone fixed this before on there own console or has anyone ran into this "Ring of Death" ? If so how did you fix it or can you point in in the right direction please. I looked on www.youtube.com & there is a few different ways to go about this but I do not know witch one works for sure :( & I do not feel like sending my Xbox360 into Microsoft due to the Xbox360 being traded for a PC I built & I do not have the original receipt for it & I am afraid that Microsoft will try to fuck me on this.

But what is crazy about not having the original receipt for the Xbox360 is that I have the Target 3 Year Extended Service Plan & the "Ring of Death" is not covered under there 3 Year Extended Service Plan. I all ready made the phone call to talk to Target & they told me it was have to be repaired by Microsoft & so yeah Target told me that Microsoft might give me "HELL & SHIT"  over not having the original receipt or knowing the the person that bought the Xbox360 & all there malling info :( ....

Well now I went ahead & called Microsoft & talked to Osama bin Laden about the above info & Target was correct they want me to verify the people who bought the Xbox360 & there mailing address or phone number because the serial number on the back of the Xbox360 dose not match the info I gave them being my mailing info so yeah WTF do I do now ?

I then called around to a few local game stores in my area & I found that the average used game & console repair shop wants $75.00-$100.00 to fix this issue & they would ship it off & have it back @ there store in 5 business days. I went & looked on www.craigslist.org to see how much the locals kids are fixing this for & they are say $30.00-$50.00 with a 30 day warranty.

So there has to be a easier way to go about fixing this. I know you can do it @ your home for dirty cheap but I have no clue on where to start. If anyone can assist me in finding what I need & know for a fact that it will work then please HELP!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 07:12:40 PM by retro_killa »

willplayer

• 128-bit
Re: (HELP)--XBOX 360 Repair 3 Red Lights of Death--(HELP)
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 08:18:53 PM »
why the hell did you have to type all that ...

just put a towel on it and give it CPR, I know that fucks up the joints but it fixes it temporarily. Or send it in to Microsoft. It's not their business how you got it, and it doesn't matter about warranty, they will fix it for free. Just call them or register it yourself on xbox.com, they will work out the rest.

If you register it yourself online instead of talking to some dipshit over the phone they will send you a box to put the 360 in to ship it over to them free of charge. Don't make this difficult!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 08:21:13 PM by willwgp »

Maximus

• 8-Bit
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 05:57:17 AM »
Ill help you!

Get a PS3. hehe.
''This life is temporary but the next is forever.''

call_me_sir

• Hardcore n00b
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 10:41:14 AM »
No joke - too bad most of the third party ports run better on the inferior 360..

Adam Bomb 669

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 05:21:31 AM »
nothing inferior about it, get the fucker running again, sell it and get one of the newer ones. PS3 is nothing to waste money on, what are you gonna play mgs4 and little big planet all day? those are about the only current games worth a shit on it.  I wouldnt reccomend the towel trick though.  if its not been opened, have msoft fix it. if it has, its a much better idea to replace the thermal compound and get rid of the x clamps.

MS never gave me problems over a reciept. nor have I heard anyone say anything like that. if you still have the warranty stickers on it just say hey I got 3rr and Id like to get it fixed.  takes about 3 weeks to a month.  sure thats a while but its free. untill then just play dreamcast. haha.

call_me_sir

• Hardcore n00b
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 09:12:52 PM »
What games are so great on 360 that aren't FPS's?

willplayer

• 128-bit
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 10:27:32 PM »
Guitar Hero World Tour? ;D

i_got_you60

• 64-bit
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 02:19:01 AM »
prince of persia  ;D

call_me_sir

• Hardcore n00b
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 02:37:55 AM »
Right, so anything that isn't available on ps3 as well.

willplayer

• 128-bit
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 06:27:52 AM »
Oh umm ... uhhh ... damnit I'm out of ideas. A lot of the same games are made for different consoles, I don't see the point.

call_me_sir

• Hardcore n00b
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 07:38:10 AM »
I agree with you, I don't have any idea what adam bomb was talking about.

Adam Bomb 669

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 07:53:25 AM »
it doesnt much matter what the genre is, ms has better games.  hell the only strong point sony had was rpg games and ms prety much dominates that. hell they even got square riding there nuts now
and what does it matter if they are fps or not, you only say that cause ms has a clear level of dominance in that market.  the only thing on playstation genrewise that ms doesnt realy have yet is platformers. and Nintendo clearly holds that market firm, and most likely will for decades and decades and even more decades.

anyway lets see what 360 has that ps3 does not
GTA 4 expansion and another to come
Gears 2
even though I cant stand the game, you cant argue with the numbers of halo 3
soon will come Mass Effect 2 and Halo Wars(not FPS btw)
star ocean for you rpg weirdos
and non exclusives, you said it yourself. 360 is better with them too.
even if your looking for something simple like online, 360 live accounts for over half of all console multiplayer gaming.  Plus theres more content to download for nearly every game.
Killzone 2 will probably be about on par with the original, which is to say not that good, infact probably not even a halo 3 beater, and it isnt hard to beat halo 3.
Resistance 2..... dissapointing to say the least.
looks like the only thing coming to ps3 worth a shit is God of War 3

In reality, Im a bit sour on wii lately considering the only good games coming out for it are made by nintendo, but Id still recomend buying 2 wiis with nothing but wii sports over a ps3 with a handfull of games.

If you want a great setup though, get two used 360s and lan them together with a few great lanable games. it will still cost less than a ps3 alone, probably even with a 20 gig hdd.

call_me_sir

• Hardcore n00b
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 08:34:46 AM »
Well I haven't played gears of war 2 yet but I've got gears 1 and it's so-so. I definitely don't think it deserved all the hype it received. GTA4 got old really quick in my opinion, and I'm not interested in the expansion at all. Not to mention the mediocre reviews I read for it.
I just don't care for FPS games, they're a dime a dozen, and it's too bad ID didn't find some way to copyright the genre. 360 is only better for third party ports because software companies put in more time and effort, for a better payoff because the install base is so much larger. Mass effect was shit if you ask me. But I never actually could stand to play it long enough to get past the training level part.
I feel that the 360 is only holding the PS3 and higher end gaming PC's back.

Adam Bomb 669

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 10:08:16 AM »
Sony is holding the PS3 back.

Elite Evil

• Well hung poster
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 03:52:10 PM »
Your mum is holding the PS3 back.
Freedom headquarters!

willplayer

• 128-bit
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 10:29:00 PM »
Nintendo knew what it was doing from the start, they were really the only company that thought gaming was a thing of the future, and they had the right idea. But Sony was wrong to not join forces with Nintendo years ago, because now they're suffering. MS comes up with some nice ideas and just imitates a lot of others in order to be "better". My problem is how much they charge for some of their horse shit.

Gears of War I never understood the hype, I played through it and never really got why people enjoyed the multiplayer so much, my only guess is because you can chop someone up with a chainsaw, that was really the only satisfying thing in the game was running up to someone and holding the A button down or whatever just to see them die.

Mass Effect I enjoyed, but it had this MMORPG feel to it, would've been better if it had more shit to do, and the choices you make in the game would actually make a big dent in the overall story instead of change something someone would say to you at that point in time. Was also very short, would've been more fun with a friend in co-op (I'm sure they'll do this).

Here's what I think is coming up next for us in the future, because I personally want these:

-Co Op (2-4p in every game)
-Real Time (if it's 6pm in real life, it's 6pm in the game)
-FPS is okay, but it's getting old ... what about puzzles or platformers?
-Voice-over's, hello? It's not old news, start working on it! I know I can read, but giving every word a voice makes all the difference in the game you want us to play!

call_me_sir

• Hardcore n00b
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 01:10:12 AM »
I'm thinking about buying star ocean actually. It didn't get a very good review, but I need something with depth.

willplayer

• 128-bit
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 05:53:05 AM »
LOST Odyssey, have you played that?! That game was REALLY good I thought.

call_me_sir

• Hardcore n00b
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2009, 06:41:05 AM »
Never played it, I read that the load times going into battle were really awful.

willplayer

• 128-bit
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2009, 07:09:37 AM »
Maybe ... ? I never noticed anything, maybe because I got used to it quickly? Either way it was worth it. :)