47847 Posts in 5487 Topics - by 11330 Members - Latest Member: chaosdu55

Author Topic: Obama Administration Fails Its Own Transparency Promise Just Days Later  (Read 1197 times)

retro_killa

• 128-bit
  • You must be the change you want 2 see in the world
    • Colorblind Designs
While some of the complaining in the press about President Obama's lack of transparency is overblown, you would think that the new administration could at least live up to the rather simple promises it made days ago on transparency. On inauguration day, the administration promised, among other things:

We will publish all non-emergency legislation to the website for five days, and allow the public to review and comment before the President signs it.

That's great! If only it actually happened. Jim Harper points out that Obama signed the "Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act of 2009" into law just a day after Congress sent it to him. This is a "non-emergency" law. The Whitehouse did put it on the website for review, but not for five days. And, it's especially troubling since there actually is a fair amount of controversy over the law. No matter whether you support it or not, the administration made a great promise that we support: putting it up on the website for five days to allow public review and comment, before the President signs it. And they didn't live up to that.

Code: [Select]
http://techdirt.com/articles/20090129/1919493573.shtml

willplayer

• 128-bit
Re: Obama Administration Fails Its Own Transparency Promise Just Days Later
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 09:02:26 AM »
Why not support that law though? The Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act of 2009 sounds alright by me. Is there a lame version of the whole governmental list of laws so I can actually understand them better? How does it affect me? It's sad when I'm American and yet I still can't fully understand it. They should list pro's and con's for every law.