47847 Posts in 5487 Topics - by 11332 Members - Latest Member: Saturny2X

Author Topic: Obama taps Sun's McNealy for open source advice  (Read 16709 times)

retro_killa

• 128-bit
  • You must be the change you want 2 see in the world
    • Colorblind Designs
Obama taps Sun's McNealy for open source advice
« on: January 26, 2009, 12:11:02 PM »

Scott McNealy, Sun Microsystems' co-founder and chairman, says that President Barack Obama has asked him to write a white paper on the benefits of open source technology.

In an interview with the BBC, McNealy contended that government should mandate the use of open source products to "improve security, get higher quality software, lower costs, [and obtain] higher reliability -- all the benefits that come with open software."

McNealy ought to know, because his company is experienced on both sides. Over the years, Sun has produced the open source Java platform, along with the traditionally proprietary Solaris operating system.

Obama first got dubbed the "Open Source President" less than a week after the election, but for different reasons.

In a CNN broadcast on November 10, Republican pundit Alex Castallanos applied the "Bazaar vs. Cathedral" metaphor -- adopted from a 1997 essay by Eric S. Raymond, and still used today in software engineering -- to predicting how the Obama administration will operate. Obama will follow a Bazaar-style, bottoms-up, grassroots and "open source" approach, as opposed to a "proprietary," tops-down Cathedral model, according to the pundit.

THE ABOVE INFO WAS COPIED & PASTED FROM
Code: [Select]
http://www.betanews.com/article/Obama_taps_Suns_McNealy_for_open_source_advice/1232748243
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 09:53:39 AM by retro_killa »

Generalidea

• Forum Cowboy/Gangster
  • 128-bit
  • Would you say... a million?
Re: Obama taps Sun's McNealy for open source advice
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 07:18:48 PM »
Yattttaaaaaaa

« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 07:41:40 PM by Generalidea »

jem

• Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 01:02:02 AM »
Obama first got dubbed the "Open Source President" less than a week after the election, because its clear what his sources are:  Marx, King George III, Hitler.

Seriously, Retro... wtf would you post this puff piece? 

Generalidea

• Forum Cowboy/Gangster
  • 128-bit
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 03:29:33 AM »
I thought it was cool, don't be a dooooosh

Elite Evil

• Well hung poster
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 02:15:38 PM »
Obama first got dubbed the "Open Source President" less than a week after the election, because its clear what his sources are:  Marx, King George III, Hitler.

Seriously, Retro... wtf would you post this puff piece? 

You are a right wing extremist even compared to other Americans. ;D

I thought the article was okay, though there is a mistake with the referencing. :P
Freedom headquarters!

darkNiGHTS

• soccerboi
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
  • Is it getting dark in here, or is it just me?
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 07:11:24 PM »
You are a right wing extremist even compared to other Americans. ;D
I can honestly say I've never met anyone close to as right wing extremist as jem.  And I live here.

jem

• Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 07:19:43 PM »
You live in Ann Arbor (if memory serves me correctly)... your taxes would make me shudder, lol ;)

willplayer

• 128-bit
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 08:07:57 PM »
I'm surprised Retro posted it also because most of his "news" pieces aren't political at all ;D

Generalidea

• Forum Cowboy/Gangster
  • 128-bit
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 08:50:06 PM »
well its tech-related. does no one see that?? lol

jem

• Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 10:00:22 PM »
Barely.  One line about the president being interested in open-source followed by a diatribe on how how "open" his presidency will be is hardly news.  It's more editorial than anything.

On a related note, how "open" is Obama's presidency?  Apparently not open enough to prove his constitutional eligibility.

willplayer

• 128-bit
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 01:01:13 AM »
Why can't you just accept that he was born in Hawaii? Is that not a state of the UNITED States? And you want to become a lawyer?

call_me_sir

• Hardcore n00b
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 04:24:06 AM »
its clear what his sources are:  Marx, King George III, Hitler.
Hey, hey, hey.
HEY.

I was going to post some pro nazi jargon, but you probably wouldn't find it the least bit funny.

willplayer

• 128-bit
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 09:22:54 AM »
Will, how many times have we discussed this on IRC?  You're a moron if you still think anyone should believe he was born in Hawaii without proof.

Dude ... what would you say if I was right? You always have to find a problem with him. Even if he IS from Kenya, then our own gov't fucked up with following its own Constitution, so fuckin what? Nowadays so many things can be twisted around, tons of policies are stepped on heavily. So what if he's from Kenya, or China or Japan. I don't see a birth certificate of his from Kenya, do you? I don't think his mom gave birth to him while she was in Kenya. She wasn't thinking "Oh, I'm with a bunch of Africans, I guess I'll give birth to him here." You have stereotyped that he is black and African American. His mom is CAUCASIAN. At any rate, Fox and CNN etc don't want to say anything about this stuff because, what if Obama pulls out the real deal and says fuck you guys, I was fucking born in Hawaii?

The fact that you call me a moron for believing that he was born from Hawaii closes this discussion from any further dispute. You won't win a fight if you call me a liar for something we're not even entirely sure about, I might be right for all we know, what then? Sure Obama might have spent 800k to defend his title, but what if I'm right regardless? Do you think the gov't gives a shit? Apparently not, they just put him into office. Go ahead and stop them for all I care.

And if I'm wrong, I take back all of this. But logically it just doesn't make sense that his mom traveled to Kenya, had a baby, and then said "OH SHIT NO, we need to fly to Hawaii real quick so we can get a BIRTH CERTIFICATE, otherwise he won't be able to be a President! Oh God what have I done!?" ::)

Quote from: Does Barack Obama have Kenyan citizenship?
No. He held both U.S. and Kenyan citizenship as a child, but lost his Kenyan citizenship automatically on his 21st birthday.

Even if he was born in Kenya and had citizenship there, he lost it once he turned 21. So ... all rhyme or reason of where he was actually born from is defaulted at Hawaii.

When it comes down to it, who the hell cares? Our country's fucked up, and you are one of the first to make note of this.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 09:30:45 AM by willwgp »

retro_killa

• 128-bit
    • Colorblind Designs
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 09:59:54 AM »
[/b]Barack Hussein Obama II[/b] (pronounced /b??r??k h??se?n o??b??m?/; born August 4, 1961) is the 44th and current President of the United States. He is the first African American to hold the office. Obama was the junior United States Senator from Illinois from 2005 until he resigned following his 2008 election to the presidency. He was inaugurated as President on January 20, 2009.

Obama is a graduate of Columbia University and Harvard Law School, where he was the first African American president of the Harvard Law Review. He worked as a community organizer in Chicago prior to earning his law degree, and practiced as a civil rights attorney in Chicago before serving three terms in the Illinois Senate from 1997 to 2004. He also taught Constitutional Law at the University of Chicago Law School from 1992 to 2004. Following an unsuccessful bid for a seat in the U.S. House of Representatives in 2000, Obama was elected to the Senate in November 2004. Obama delivered the keynote address at the Democratic National Convention in July 2004.

As a member of the Democratic minority in the 109th Congress, Obama helped create legislation to control conventional weapons and to promote greater public accountability in the use of federal funds. He also made official trips to Eastern Europe, the Middle East, and Africa. During the 110th Congress, he helped create legislation regarding lobbying and electoral fraud, climate change, nuclear terrorism, and care for U.S. military personnel returning from combat assignments in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The above info was copied from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama

retro_killa

• 128-bit
    • Colorblind Designs
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 10:02:00 AM »
Why can't you just accept that he was born in Hawaii? Is that not a state of the UNITED States? And you want to become a lawyer?

Barack Hussein Obama was born Aug. 4, 1961, in Honolulu, Hawaii. His father, Barack Obama, Sr., was born of Luo ethnicity in Nyanza Province, Kenya. He grew up herding goats with his own father, who was a domestic servant to the British. Although reared among Muslims, Obama, Sr., became an atheist at some point.

the above info was copied from
http://www.biography.com/featured-biography/barack-obama/index.jsp

willplayer

• 128-bit
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2009, 10:56:10 PM »
He's already spent 150 million on his inauguration, why not spend a measly 1 million with these cases? Honestly, who cares if he's from another country. He's doing a better job than many other of those dumb jocks on the Republican side. Now tell me, what have you seen a Republican ever do for us that was incredibly lifechanging? How about smash down the World Trade Center? Terrorism at its finest and still no Osama Bin Ladin, like that'll really fix anything. He has a fine team working for him and a lot of breakthroughs will be reached thanks to Obama. McCain would've kept doing the same thing that Bush was doing for 8 years: NOTHING.

And apparently 5 million other people didn't see a problem with Obama's birth certificate, perhaps because it was LEGIT, did you ever consider that?

jem

• Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2009, 11:10:19 PM »
This isn't a question of partisan politics, it's a question of constitutionality.

The inauguration money was public funds, not his own.  And everyone who cares about the Constitution cares if he was born in another country.  You can't pick and choose what provisions of the Constitution you think are important.  When you start letting that question being decided by partisan politics, you are only asking for collapse. 

Maybe when my candidate gets elected I'll support him ignoring the term limit amendment.  Maybe he should ignore the election and use the army to back up his throne.  <<<these are the problems that arise when you pick and choose portions of the Constitution to follow.

willplayer

• 128-bit
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2009, 11:35:18 PM »
I'm assuming you're talking about Alan Keyes again ... that guy might be good to strive to follow the constitution line by line, but really do we want a robotic uniform society? I didn't.

jem

• Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2009, 11:58:01 PM »
Are you serious?  Do you comprehend this issue at all?

The Constitution isn't a laundry list of rules for your everyday life.  It's the framework of our government, ratified by the people.  It is the supreme law of the land.

No party or politician can ignore its provisions because the Constitution is the supreme will of the people.

The Constitution created these political institutions.  If Obama does not govern by the authority of the Constitution, then by what authority does he govern?

Adam Bomb 669

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2009, 06:14:02 AM »
ok so lets aproach this from a different perspective.  is the patriot act constitutional?  I dont believe it is.

Anyway wether you like it or not, Obama IS our president, and will be for at the least 4 years, more likely 8.  And you can go ahead and fight that all you like cause guess what...... If this was a real issue then it would have been dealt with before he swore in, If you think you can do something about it, Try to get him impeached, stop preaching to us about it because we know the stories about his certificate are completely bogus and dont take that seriously any longer.

I understand not likeing a person, and even hating a person but you sound like nothing more than a fanboy, you will look for every little thing Obama does that you dont like.  and guess what. I never saw Bushes birth certificate so I guess I should demand he personaly show me his huh?  and that will get me as far as you saying he needs to prove to you he is a citizen.

and since your the religious type I have another question for you.
Why is pot, or any other substance grown in the ground illegal since you yourself have said you think our laws should be based around the bible.  doesnt the bible say that anything that all plants are meant to be consumed in some form or another?  going by that Pot, Cocaine, all that type of shit should be totaly legal.  just a side question I was wondering about.