47100 Posts in 5386 Topics - by 11281 Members - Latest Member: hassan

Author Topic: help with free mcboot. I donlt know what im doing.  (Read 2985 times)

Cockatiel

• 16-bit
help with free mcboot. I donlt know what im doing.
« on: August 25, 2008, 08:45:14 PM »
ok. so I made a promise to my cousin i probably cant keep :X

I told her I could install the free mc boot thing in her NTSC USA PS2 before she leaves back for home this friday. I've followed countless tutorials, but this one

Code: [Select]
http://bootleg.sksapps.com/tutorials/fmcb/FMCB_install_guide.html
seems to make the most sense... but it still doesnt work. I install everything into the PS2 but its not recognized. Does anyone know where i can get a premade file with the mod chip-like program and hdloader? those are the only apps I want to putinto the PS2. I cant seem to make one or find one on the internet.

I am Chocobo, I just changed my name. there.

Hivmunky

• 128-bit
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: help with free mcboot. I donlt know what im doing.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 09:16:45 PM »
what is mcboot? I have not heard of this....

Generalidea

• Forum Cowboy/Gangster
  • 128-bit
  • Would you say... a million?
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 10:21:30 PM »
ESR (aparently) isn't compatible with every system, do you have the means to put, say, ulaunchelf on a memory card and boot to it?

I can make you an install package if you want that would install freemcboot and the ESR/HDL files

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=96HFS0O5

Here you are, format the official or third party magic gate card and stick these files on it, then run the FREE_MCBOOT.ELF to install it onto your memory card.

If you have any more questions PM me or just continue on this thread, I'll try to respond.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 10:43:35 PM by Generalidea »

Cockatiel

• 16-bit
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 11:01:57 PM »
yeah i have a means with action replay max. i used to do the independence exploite, but the idea of having a built in modchip in the memory is too cool :D

thanks so much for for the package general idea! ill try to install this baby today.

Cockatiel

• 16-bit
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 12:44:53 AM »
well. I got the mc boot thing working. hdloader workd, but esr does not :/

Generalidea

• Forum Cowboy/Gangster
  • 128-bit
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 04:05:34 AM »
sorry to hear that, from what I've heard its a hit and miss sort of thing, what kind of system are you running? (Slim/Fat) Do you have the disk in before initializing ESR? also in the apps folder I left other editions of ESR the only other which you may need is the one labled "full disk boot off" or something like that, it just turns ESR off after the game boots, sometimes nesisary.

I'm in class right now, but I'll hit you up when I get home.

Cockatiel

• 16-bit
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 06:05:51 AM »
success! how misinformed i was.   most of those tutorials never mentioned that I had to patch each game I want to play with ESR. i have a little fat ps2.

ugh. well, thank you so much generalidea. its always nice to know people help people for people (wtf?)

p.s. which games require the full disk off? would it be better to use that one instead of the main one you left for me?

thanks!

Generalidea

• Forum Cowboy/Gangster
  • 128-bit
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 07:13:58 AM »
In HDloader some games need MODE 3 enabled which turns off hdloader and frees up then memory it was using, it is the same situation, games that need the memory (mode 3 games) are likely to need the OFF .elf

did it end up working for you?

Cockatiel

• 16-bit
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 07:39:09 PM »
yeah it ended up working nicely. She's playing final fantasy X international (shes RPG lover).

I'm thinking redoing the mcboot and just use the fulldisk off elf instead of the fulldisc one. Easier to play it safe.

Generalidea

• Forum Cowboy/Gangster
  • 128-bit
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 08:49:22 PM »
all you would need for that is to go into the freeMC config and change the boot path for the ESR .elf