47847 Posts in 5487 Topics - by 11332 Members - Latest Member: Saturny2X

Author Topic: How firefox ruined my life...  (Read 13850 times)

willplayer

• 128-bit
Re: How firefox ruined my life...
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2008, 01:15:09 AM »
O_o

bernie

• 128-bit
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2008, 03:14:49 AM »
wtf? dumbass.

i just wanna know what that college comment meant.  i'm seriously curious.

its funny because your comment made no sense as it wasn't put in context, but you keep calling people dumb.  and i assume you were calling people dumb with that comment. 

call_me_sir

• Hardcore n00b
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2008, 03:29:11 AM »
Just a tip Metal boy, don't encourage flaming on here ... it's only asking to get your butt beat ... :|
I second that.
But I don't think bernie is quite as spiteful as retro killa. :D

bernie

• 128-bit
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2008, 04:04:24 AM »
i'm not spiteful at all.

miketrix042

• Uploader
  • 128-bit
  • fat can dodge
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2008, 04:25:50 AM »
ya, bernie is cool

i wounder why he was using the whole "college" comment for? but who knows

call_me_sir

• Hardcore n00b
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2008, 06:57:00 AM »
I'll say this, I'm almost done with college and honestly I haven't learned anything I didn't know 5 years ago. At least nothing worthwhile.

bernie

• 128-bit
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2008, 07:44:16 AM »
i graduated in december and i'm woefully unemployed and miserable.

willplayer

• 128-bit
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2008, 08:38:28 AM »
I wish we didn't have to go to college for anything, we're definitely smart enough to just work somewhere! :|

bernie

• 128-bit
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2008, 08:51:41 AM »
a college diploma is the new highschool diploma.  except college was much more fun than high school.

SolidMetal

« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2008, 08:53:19 AM »
but you keep calling people dumb.  and i assume you were calling people dumb with that comment. 
lol.

call_me_sir

• Hardcore n00b
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2008, 09:05:24 AM »
The only reason to go to college is to receive a piece of paper telling employers that you're competent enough to fulfill specified duties. Some people call this piece of paper a degree. I call it one of the trappings of a society thats more concerned with what you've done than what you have the potential to do.
Look at Einstein. He thought of school as an interference to his education.
I mean, if people were actually interested in learning something for the right reasons, Example: not money, they'd be more than willing to learn them on their own anyway.

That guy John Nash who the movie a beautiful mind was based on refused to attend class because he thought it would prevent him from coming up with an original idea.

We actually have art classes in college. ART CLASSES. Can you actually teach art or creativity to anyone? Eh. Now i;m rambling, but fuck college.

bernie

• 128-bit
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2008, 09:12:55 AM »
art classes can teach form and whatnot.

look at how much an art student technically improves throughout 4 years and tell me they didn't learn anything.

call_me_sir

• Hardcore n00b
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2008, 09:29:14 AM »
I don't think thats what you would call an artistic improvement though. I don't think that good art tries to be too realistic to tell you the truth. Great art involves the ability to express emotions, not realism, and since thats very dependent on the individual I think it can only improve from solitary practice.

As for teaching technique, they can only teach you somebody else's technique. Even if you combine several different techniques and come up with your own hybrid style, who knows what you're work would look like if you had never allowed it to be interfered with by outside influences. Thats my opinion anyway.

I guess it really just depends on what you call art.

willplayer

• 128-bit
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2008, 09:39:49 AM »
I had a girl sketch a drawing of me, she had been in art for 3 years, and it wasn't the most perfect drawing ever. It was something I probably could have done if I really sat there staring at myself for a couple hours.

College is really bullshit sometimes, when the teachers won't take the time to help you learn ... you're paying good money to LEARN and sometimes they're not all like "OH my gosh, for once someone actually cares about what I'm teaching!" ...

call_me_sir

• Hardcore n00b
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2008, 09:46:28 AM »
I must admit, I am at least lucky that I don't have to pay for college. My dad teaches chemistry at my college and the faculty kids get to go for free.

bernie

• 128-bit
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2008, 10:23:36 AM »
i dunno.  i have a lot of art fag friends who showed marked improvement in every aspect of their art from high school through college.  if nothing else, art school forces you to practice.   

as for profs not really offering you anything, thats a sad fact of life, but you have to latch on to those that will offer you something.  i learned SO MUCH from so few profs.