47847 Posts in 5487 Topics - by 11332 Members - Latest Member: Saturny2X

Author Topic: you know what? screw the writers  (Read 14072 times)

warmaster670

• 64-bit
you know what? screw the writers
« on: January 12, 2008, 06:53:42 AM »
i've been thinking about this writers strike, and like alot of people i supported the writers, but after thinking about, there just a bunch of greedy dicks, no better than than the people there fighting against.

sure, the companyies may be greedy, but out of this whole thing, the companies greed is only affecting the writers, where the writers greed, is affecting everyone who works on any show affected by the strike, as well as the people who watch this show.

why should the prop guys, the cameramen, light guys, special effects guys, get fucked, becasue teh writers want more money? there just as important.

the writers get paid to write the shows there writing, once they write it, it belongs to the company.

i hope they realise how there greed is affecting so many people.

just a note, i dont agree with the companies, i just think there the lesser of 2 evils here.
BANNED!

willplayer

• 128-bit
Re: you know what? screw the writers
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 09:21:23 AM »
I dunno how much money these writers are actually making, but I'd think it was definitely enough to live on for the rest of their lives ... if I had that position I wouldn't be complaining. Sure, being a writer means creativity, but they don't need to just throw the whole show out because the writers stopped writing, just get some new ones that give a shit!

darkNiGHTS

• soccerboi
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
  • Is it getting dark in here, or is it just me?
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 05:25:32 PM »
The thing is, they can't just change writers in the middle of the show.  The show wouldn't be quite the same.  I agree though, the writers suck, they are ruining so much right now.

Adam Bomb 669

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 10:20:40 PM »
fuck the writers, thats been my stance from the beginning, because of them Im going to lose good shows to watch and they will be replaced with terrible "reality" shows and even worse, American gladiators with that faggot hulk hasbeen.

willplayer

• 128-bit
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 10:28:18 PM »
well the only show I care about that's been takin out was The Office, and it could still be the same with a new writer because it's all about being awkward, it's a show that could go on for seasons only out of awkwardness!

Donkeyboy

• SegaHub's prodigal son. I show up with the wind.
  • Administrator
  • 64-bit
  • Everyday Legend
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 11:53:37 PM »
So what you are saying is you want the people who are giving you 150% crap now to remain in charge and screw the writers who are asking for more than 4 cents per DVD of a movie that makes the studio that puts it out millions more than that.  You'd rather have reality programming, which requires no union writers, who are skilled and talented and brought up in the system to make shows that actually suck less than the alternative, which as I said in the first place, you'd rather have.

So screw the writers.  Bring me more crap instead.  Control everything you want to, mass media corporations, and spoonfeed me all of the mind control you want to.  I want more American Idol.  I want American Gladiators.  I want Deal Or No Deal, Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader, Survivor, Dancing With The Stars, Don't Forget The Lyrics and other fine, quality programs.

What I really want to see is The Moment Of Truth.  Not the show, but that magical time when you all realize that what you're asking for is far worse than what you're "suffering" through.  I miss Heroes.  And I'd rather see Family Guy not suck anymore.  The writers are getting screwed, and they're the most integral part of any and every show's existence.  No script, no actors, no set, no show.  So them asking for a little more on their end when it's the Directors and Actors that get the most is not that much to ask.  The real fight is over how "new media" - being streaming video in any format, either online or on demand - is not being appropriated a value to the writers, who currently get nothing from it.  They had a fight over a "new media" in the 80's, when the studios and their corporate overlords said that VHS was an untested medium and shouldn't be a priority until they see how well it was going to do.  And the writers, not the directors, not the actors, got screwed.  Everyone caught a huge payday when VHS blew up - except for the Writers.  And so they struck.  And they got a small pittance of change for every copy sold.  Then, as the DVD market made the home video marketplace blow wide open all over again, the studios kept the same formula in effect, screwing over the writers and laughing all the way to the bank.

So, if you're down for "The Man" assraping the little guy who came up with the great show ideas in the fucking first place, then sure, screw the writers.  It shows how much you really fucking know.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 11:55:16 PM by Donkeyboy »
XBL Gamertag: Everyday Legend  -  PSN ID: Everyday_Legend  -  Steam: Everyday Legend
Dtoid: Everyday Legend  -  Raptr: Everyday Legend  -  Twitter: Everyday_Legend

Yep.  There's a theme.

willplayer

• 128-bit
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 12:55:03 AM »
That's not entirely what I was saying. I feel the writers SHOULD get paid more for what they do, they're the ones that really build the fire. I'm saying take OUT all those reality tv shows and put in some good quality sitcoms, more Seinfelds, Everybody Loves Raymond, The Office, all kinds of things like that.

They should get paid more but it's been a month and no one's budging for a middle balance in any of this.

bernie

• 128-bit
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 01:54:17 AM »
I dunno how much money these writers are actually making, but I'd think it was definitely enough to live on for the rest of their lives ... if I had that position I wouldn't be complaining. Sure, being a writer means creativity, but they don't need to just throw the whole show out because the writers stopped writing, just get some new ones that give a shit!

HOLY SHIT YOU'RE A RETARD

donkeyboy, thank god for you. 

NO ONE SHOULD BE ABLE TO UNIONIZE TO GET OUT OF SHITTY WORKING CONDITIONS.  BACK TO THE MILLS WITH THE 8 YEAR OLDS.

god i hate you people.

Adam Bomb 669

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 01:56:18 AM »
That's not entirely what I was saying. I feel the writers SHOULD get paid more for what they do, they're the ones that really build the fire. I'm saying take OUT all those reality tv shows and put in some good quality sitcoms, more Seinfelds, Everybody Loves Raymond, The Office, all kinds of things like that.

They should get paid more but it's been a month and no one's budging for a middle balance in any of this.
yeah no..... the office, good stuff, the other two, not so much.
in the real world these writers would have been told fuck off your fired, and they would have hired new writers right off the bat. they have cost alot of people there jobs and livelyhoods so fuck them.

warmaster670

• 64-bit
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 02:48:16 AM »
yeah no..... the office, good stuff, the other two, not so much.
in the real world these writers would have been told fuck off your fired, and they would have hired new writers right off the bat. they have cost alot of people there jobs and livelyhoods so fuck them.
exactly, this isnt about whether the studios are right, this is about all the epople the writers are hurting, and its not just teh tv viewing public.

"So, if you're down for "The Man" assraping the little guy who came up with the great show ideas in the fucking first place, then sure, screw the writers.  It shows how much you really fucking know" if you bothered to read my post, i dont agree with the studios at all, but the studios didnt put thousands of innocent people who will get nothing from it out of work
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 02:51:35 AM by warmaster670 »
BANNED!

Donkeyboy

• SegaHub's prodigal son. I show up with the wind.
  • Administrator
  • 64-bit
  • Everyday Legend
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 06:03:17 AM »
It wasn't directed solely at you.  Don't take it personal.  I read your post and I read that you basically gave a little credence to both sides of the argument, which was a diplomatic way to state your concerns.

All I wanted to get out there was the fact that these people aren't just bitching and moaning.  They have to unionize and strike in order to be heard, because if they don't the corporate overlords and their giant boots will step all over them.  And smile all the while.
XBL Gamertag: Everyday Legend  -  PSN ID: Everyday_Legend  -  Steam: Everyday Legend
Dtoid: Everyday Legend  -  Raptr: Everyday Legend  -  Twitter: Everyday_Legend

Yep.  There's a theme.

warmaster670

• 64-bit
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2008, 06:11:09 AM »
It wasn't directed solely at you.  Don't take it personal.  I read your post and I read that you basically gave a little credence to both sides of the argument, which was a diplomatic way to state your concerns.

oh ok.
BANNED!

willplayer

• 128-bit
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2008, 09:49:10 AM »
dunno what the problem is, Bernie, I'm just talkin here ... don't get all mushy!  ::) to be honest, what I just typed up there is probably something you would have said Bernie.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 09:53:24 AM by willplayer »

bernie

• 128-bit
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2008, 04:29:19 PM »
no, it was a fucking stupid idea.  "they should just keep making shows without writers!"

how the hell are they supposed to do that?

Generalidea

• Forum Cowboy/Gangster
  • 128-bit
  • Would you say... a million?
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2008, 06:44:08 PM »
I swear to god thats how friends was...

Adam Bomb 669

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2008, 09:39:37 PM »
I swear to god thats how friends was...
and seinfeld

willplayer

• 128-bit
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2008, 09:43:44 PM »
In certain cases if they really cared about it, they'd hire new writers to take over. It's not that bad of an idea. The Office is so awkward, that any new writer that took over, I'm sure they could keep the show going. Not a big deal. That's really the only show I watch anymore, that's why I keep talking about it in this thread.

darkNiGHTS

• soccerboi
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
  • Is it getting dark in here, or is it just me?
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2008, 10:12:43 PM »
It takes skills to make that type of awkwardness though...

bernie

• 128-bit
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2008, 10:28:56 PM »
In certain cases if they really cared about it, they'd hire new writers to take over. It's not that bad of an idea. The Office is so awkward, that any new writer that took over, I'm sure they could keep the show going. Not a big deal. That's really the only show I watch anymore, that's why I keep talking about it in this thread.

no, they couldn't just hire new writers out of the blue.  anyone with any tv writing experience are already in the screen writers guild.  christ almighty you're a retard.  not just anyone can write a fucking funny sitcom.  seriously, what the fuck is wrong with you?

willplayer

• 128-bit
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2008, 02:08:52 AM »
watch the Office come back with new writers then, who gives a shit bernie, it's television.