47847 Posts in 5487 Topics - by 11332 Members - Latest Member: blue88eagles

Author Topic: did you take the dreamcast online? share online dreamcast stories here!  (Read 8959 times)

spshortman

• Bruh
  • 64-bit
please listen to this song while reading this thread: https://youtu.be/upKQkDhdVlE

ok anyways, how much did you bruhs take your dreamcast online back in the day? i have to assume a lot of people on this board must have experimented with it a little considering every dreamcast came with a modem. i took my dreamcast online a little back in the day but now i regret not doing more so.  watching some videos of PSO online gameplay from back in the day really makes me wish i would have been online more with the dreamcast. its also crazy that almost all of segas games had online in one way or another after they launched the service. i remember skies of arcadia had something you could download to the vmu from within the game by visting the web site on the main menu. sega was really awesome bruhz

i had my dreamcast in the living room so whenever i would mess with the modem i would have to run a 50ft telephone cable from the office, and shit was ghetto as hell. i remember playing quake 3 online which was pretty damn awesome. reading that unreal tournament had 8 player online with the broadband adapter is fucking insane bros.

sadly the thing i used online the most was probably the web browser. i remember being at my friend michaels house and there was like 8 of us there. as soon as his parents left one day we immediately used the dreamcast web browser to visit the "sublime directory" so we could see some tits LULZ. a bunch of 8th graders using the dreamcasts premier next gen feature to look at some bewbz bros! i really wish i would have bought a broadband adapter back then dudes, i would probably still mess with whatever is left of the dreamcasts online shit today, which apparently is still a handful of games: http://www.dreamcast-talk.com/forum/app.php/page/servers

i just order PSO from ebay, im gonna check it out offline. did PSO require you to pay something monthly back in the day? i seem to remember having to pay by the month and that was something that turned me off back then, but maybe im wrong? were most dreamcast online games free? i think quake 3 was. im having trouble remembering now.

share with me your online dreamcast memories bros!!111111

« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 05:43:59 AM by spshortman »

call_me_sir

• Hardcore n00b
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
I tried the web browser a couple of times but internet was so painfully slow back then. It was a cool gimmick but not very practical. I remember trying to download something in skies of arcadia. And of course PSO, but we only had one phone line so I wasn't allowed to play it much. Unreal Tournament was pretty awesome, playing capture the flag late at night with real people.

I don't remember any PSO monthly fee, it there was I wouldn't have ever played it online. There was Seganet that cost money, I think that was just an internet service through Sega for people who didn't have internet already.

spshortman

• Bruh
  • 64-bit
dude it sounds like you played a lot of dreamcast online back in the day! if PSO was free i was a fucking idiot for not hitting it up. i know i played it a little back then but it might have been a demo or i borrowed it or something.

funny how back in the day if your gaming online your house cant get any calls and shit! dial up is not something to be nostalgic for!1111 but it was amazing that sega shipped every console with the ability to go online.

EDIT- maybe im thinking of PSO for gamecube?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 06:05:59 AM by spshortman »

Elite Evil

• Well hung poster
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
I appreciate it is more about the DC than the game, but you can still play PSO online.

Scthack's blue burst, or something like that.
Freedom headquarters!

spshortman

• Bruh
  • 64-bit
I appreciate it is more about the DC than the game, but you can still play PSO online.

Scthack's blue burst, or something like that.

the problem is feeding internet to the dreamcast. you either have to spend 150 on a broadband adapter, hook up a crazy router config with a bunch of different parts, or get dial up internet in your house (extreme barf) im not sure the tiny dreamcast online community is worth 150 bucks.

did you ever take the dreamcast online back in the day elite evil?

jem

• Administrator
  • 128-bit
I don't remember any PSO monthly fee, it there was I wouldn't have ever played it online.

The original PSO did not charge for online play.  After awhile, they released PSOv2 (DC), which required you to pay for online play.  If memory serves, it was $5 per month, and you had to buy 3 months at a time.  I never paid, I just kept playing the original, which always stayed free.  Version 2 was another retail disc.  I would've also had to buy the whole game again.  :P

We still play PSO on the schthack server from time to time, but using a PC.  No one has dialup internet anymore, so it's a pain to get online with DC.

It's still possible to play DC PSO online on the schthack server.  I've done it once, years ago.  Required a codebreaker disc to modify some connection settings.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 04:52:22 PM by jem »

spshortman

• Bruh
  • 64-bit
thanks for dropping some knowledge jem. wish i would have hit up PSO back in the day. i got it in the mail right now, im gonna check out some offline and pretend......

jem

• Administrator
  • 128-bit
It was fun, but hackers found ways of duping items.  So the rares weren't so rare anymore.  Plugging the loopholes might've been one of the reasons for v2.

Also, when you died you would drop your meseta and equipped weapon.  It made playing online really risky.  8)

spshortman

• Bruh
  • 64-bit
sounds like PSO was so early that sonic team hadn't quite figured out everything yet. this was also pre console patches era so when you wanted to update something you had to ship a new disc LULZ! still theres no denying sega was really ahead of the curve with online console gaming, and PSO was definitely the shining example of that.

some dude captured some footage of PSO right before the servers went down: https://youtu.be/-_dWalQdIN0 looks like a pretty incredible expirence considering this game came out in january 01, also doesnt appear to be any lag even with everyone on dial up

jem

• Administrator
  • 128-bit
It really was impressive what they were able to do with a 56k modem.

I also used to play Alien Front Online, and they had real-time voice chat during the game (it shipped with a vmu-mic).

No lag.

PSO is still fun to play single player, but Alien Front Online died with the multiplayer.   :'(

Elite Evil

• Well hung poster
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
Re: did you take the dreamcast online? share online dreamcast stories here!
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2016, 08:40:46 PM »
did you ever take the dreamcast online back in the day elite evil?

I did not. :(

I didn't get my first dreamcast until about 2004, but I did write off to sega and they posted me a dreamkey 3.0 :)
Freedom headquarters!

spshortman

• Bruh
  • 64-bit
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 11:36:10 PM »
It really was impressive what they were able to do with a 56k modem.

I also used to play Alien Front Online, and they had real-time voice chat during the game (it shipped with a vmu-mic).

No lag.

PSO is still fun to play single player, but Alien Front Online died with the multiplayer.   :'(

holy fuck

I did not. :(

I didn't get my first dreamcast until about 2004, but I did write off to sega and they posted me a dreamkey 3.0 :)

damn sega is cool as fuck!

spshortman

• Bruh
  • 64-bit
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2016, 01:19:43 PM »
i just got PSO in the mail, and holy fuck bruhs, dreamcast vga looks SOOOO GOOOD!!1! the image quality is super nice! shit is beautiful, wish i hadn't missed this one back in the day.....

jem

• Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2016, 04:43:40 PM »
Cool!  But it's stretched into widescreen.  :-\

If you can find one, a PC CRT monitor is my preferred pairing with the Dreamcast + VGA.

It scales the lower resolution of the DC (640/720x480p) much better than LCDs, and almost all of them are the correct 4:3 aspect ratio.

Plus, people are just giving them away or throwing them in the trash these days.  Shouldn't be hard to find one for free.

spshortman

• Bruh
  • 64-bit
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2016, 11:36:27 PM »
i prefer to stretch it, i know it makes some people cringe but i like to blast that shit as big as possible. im sure a crt monitor is the way to go, but i dont have space to keep one of them around just for when i bust out the dreamcast (plus their fooking ugly) my tv has an auto scaling setting for the vga that does a good job of making it look sharp on my 40 inches!11111 BAAAALLLLLIIIIINNN!111

jem

• Administrator
  • 128-bit
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2016, 01:00:19 AM »

Cameras never take an accurate picture of a CRT.  Oh well, you get the idea.

spshortman

• Bruh
  • 64-bit
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2016, 01:56:43 AM »
looks damn nice jem! the monitor isn't hideous like most crt monitors either! definitely a more accurate representation of the original game then blasting that shit widescreen big as faurk. looks fucking good!

CrazyJunior

• 32-bit
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2016, 07:29:19 PM »
I played UT online  it was so fun !  8) 8)