47847 Posts in 5487 Topics - by 11332 Members - Latest Member: blue88eagles

Author Topic: Is the SEGAVAULT alive? The Downloads I spent all day on are working about 40%  (Read 3469 times)

strangedogs

• 8-Bit
  • Having fun while getting old...
Spent all day downloading games for my new Dreamcast on the download section.  Most won't work.  Usually they have CRC errors in the rars, etc.  I've been doing this for years so I know the tricks - I re-downloaded some 2 & 3 times with no luck... RAR's without PAR's are accidents waiting to happen.  The Newsgroups got wise years ago and went to PARS thank God so we didn't have to waste all our bandwidth downloading non-working stuff.  I appreciate the ones I did get a lot but am frustrated by all the non-working titles especially when it's just crc errors that could be fixed very simply with PAR files.  I found some to get on DEMONOID and PIRATE BAY and of course the good old Newsgroups but would like some of the ones on here - is the VAULT back in operation?  I downloaded a total of 10 and got 4 to actually burn and work - and I'm using Alcohol and DiscJuggler too - burning at super slow speeds, etc.  The burning isn't the issue - it's the RAR's.
There's nothing sweeter than a vintage tube amp and nothing finer than an old dude pushin' it hard.

HiroProbot

• 32-bit
  • www.retrocast.ch.vu
Whatever.  ;D I have gotten countless oRARs from here and NEVER...let me repeat NEVER..had an issue extracting them. Of course I use the sfv to check them. Do you know how to do this? Seriously your comment about "RAR's without PAR's are accidents waiting to happen." is just silly. On usenet yes that's true with off site places like Megaupload and Rapidshare this is extremely rare. The reason being any decent uploader would check his content before uploading. I'm not going to hold your hand but maybe someone else will come along and do it. I suspect you are using 7zip or a poor version of WinRAR to extract the archives or maybe you just encountered one or two problems and made a broad statement out of your own frustration. Please don't claim to be "doing this for years" and "know" the tricks.. ;D That's just not true is it.  ;)

mr.giggity

• Global Moderator
  • 128-bit
  • Giggity giggity goo!!
I'd have to agree with Hiro on this one. Nothing to do with your downloads or PAR files or experience in extracting etc, but purely for the fact that darkNiGHTS has uploaded all these files himself and I know from experience that all his work is out and out QUALITY. Please post your winrar version, alcohol version and burn settings along with media type etc and I guarantee you we will come to the real cruxt of the problem.

Ya Yooooooose!!

willplayer

• 128-bit
Wow ... all these long responses ... I don't know what to say. Don't think I can beat that! ;)

strangedogs

• 8-Bit
  • Having fun while getting old...
sorry if I came off harsh - was just frustrated last night.  I use Winrar 3.80, Alchohol 3.5 Platinum, QuickSFV 2.36 - and DiscJuggler is the newest on Demonoid (can't remember as I'm on my Mac this morning)...

Will try some more tonight.  Maybe it was GREMLINS in the download but not sure about that.  I'm using GENERIC CD's (cause I have numerous spindles of em) but the burn goes fine - it's the extraction that's the problem...
There's nothing sweeter than a vintage tube amp and nothing finer than an old dude pushin' it hard.

chandler_455

• 128-bit
Unfortunately segavault cannot be accessed by the admin because of college firewalls, so new games will be uploaded.

But usually the games work great please say what games are giving you problems?

What exactly happens?

19/246 Dreamcast games and counting

willplayer

• 128-bit
It goes ...

And then ...

But like ...

GOSH! lol ;D

wickidweasel

Ive been doing this for years and ive learnt not to pay for anything especially when it comes to games :D

darkNiGHTS

• soccerboi
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
  • Is it getting dark in here, or is it just me?
sorry if I came off harsh - was just frustrated last night.  I use Winrar 3.80, Alchohol 3.5 Platinum, QuickSFV 2.36 - and DiscJuggler is the newest on Demonoid (can't remember as I'm on my Mac this morning)...

Will try some more tonight.  Maybe it was GREMLINS in the download but not sure about that.  I'm using GENERIC CD's (cause I have numerous spindles of em) but the burn goes fine - it's the extraction that's the problem...
What's frustrating is being accidentally being blocked from your own site at school, I can't access Segavault anymore.  I'm pretty sure the downloads work fine though, that doesn't make any sense.  I TARed up original RARs.  I can't test it or fix it though until they can figure out why it's blocked...  Just download from the forums, those all work.