47847 Posts in 5487 Topics - by 11332 Members - Latest Member: blue88eagles

Author Topic: Recommendations for a new BURNER that OVERBURNS  (Read 3538 times)

strangedogs

• 8-Bit
  • Having fun while getting old...
Recommendations for a new BURNER that OVERBURNS
« on: November 02, 2008, 05:33:18 AM »
Really would like to not have to go SCSI, etc.  Anyone have any recommendations.  I need the ability to Overburn - Plextor, Yamaha and Teac is what I can find in Google but mostly they're SCSI...  I used to use SCSI on my Macs years ago - Firewire now but this is going in my "Dreamcast Burning PC"  - older 1.2 ghz. Sony Pentablet running XP Pro with basically a Sony IDE in it right now...  I downloaded a bunch of games that don't fit on 80 min CD's and require overburning I take it.
There's nothing sweeter than a vintage tube amp and nothing finer than an old dude pushin' it hard.

mr.giggity

• Global Moderator
  • 128-bit
  • Giggity giggity goo!!
Re: Recommendations for a new BURNER that OVERBURNS
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 06:35:38 AM »
They will fit on a standard 80 min cd. 99% of them will anyway. The cdi file might show as being 750meg, but when you load it into alcohol, it will show as under 80mins.

Ya Yooooooose!!

xdanxx

• Donator
  • 64-bit
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 07:25:27 AM »
yeah your good
"I refuse to leave our children with a debt that they cannot repay, and that means taking responsibility right now, in this administration, for getting our spending under control."  Obama Feb. 23, 2009.
Yearly Budget Deficit Tops $1 Trillion Dollars- A First  Jul. 2009
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090713/ap_on_bi_go_ec_fi/us_economy_deficit

darkNiGHTS

• soccerboi
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
  • Is it getting dark in here, or is it just me?
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 06:40:02 PM »
I've never came across a Dreamcast game that needed overburning.

strangedogs

• 8-Bit
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 08:46:59 PM »
It must be my setup - might have to reformat, etc.  I only have 7 gigs free (might need more with Windows and it's swap file, etc) and usually it'll go to almost the end then fizzle...  Only with the larger games I noticed.  Been using Alcohol 120 but just got BOOTDREAMS and am testing that out now...  ALSO not to HIJACK my own thread but does anyone have a link to Virtual Tennis - Not on a GMAIL Server - as I'm on a Mac downloading and there's really no Mac Gmail client I can find.  I transfer them by CD to my PC setup in the bedroom for burning but the PC isn't hooked to the net right now.  Found a few torrents for it but they're old and no seeders.
There's nothing sweeter than a vintage tube amp and nothing finer than an old dude pushin' it hard.

mr.giggity

• Global Moderator
  • 128-bit
  • Giggity giggity goo!!
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 01:59:10 AM »
I've never came across a Dreamcast game that needed overburning.
One of the rips of cool cool toon won't fit on an 80 min cd, but thats the only one i've come across

Ya Yooooooose!!

strangedogs

• 8-Bit
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 02:12:41 AM »
gonna keep trying then.  I bought 80 min. MAXELL CD's - might have to transfer my Firewire enclosure with my Pioneer DVD burner (I use on my Mac) into the bedroom - maybe the old Sony Burner in the PC is flaky - also might wipe the PC's HD clean and free up more room on the drive.  The Sony Pentablet I'm using does have firewire ports on it but the drive is a standard IDE so if need be I could always pop it out of the enclosure and hook it up internally to IDE.  I love problem solving so this won't be too hard except I haven't used PC's in a long long time - I'm Mac all the way.  We do have a DC burning app now called LIQUIDCD that burns CDI just great but it doesn't recognize 80 min CD's (apparently) so only the smaller size CDI's seem to burn OK - the others tell me "not enough room".  But I have done about 5 or 6 successfully in OS X on my G5 and they work great.

darkNiGHTS

• soccerboi
  • Administrator
  • 128-bit
  • Is it getting dark in here, or is it just me?
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 10:04:29 PM »
Good to hear the there's a burner for Mac that supports CDI, thanks for the heads up!

strangedogs

• 8-Bit
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 12:54:51 AM »
The LIQUIDCD guys tell me that the next release will support 80 min CD's...

http://www.maconnect.ch/index.php?page=liquidcd&lang=en

« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 12:57:02 AM by strangedogs »